Starts than cuts out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Default Starts than cuts out!

I am new andjust bought my first car its a 1990 camaro v6 3.1L and it ran fine until about three weeks ago now. It had a problem prior to this current problem with it bogging down and losing a lot of power when the engine got hot Wouldn't go any faster than 25mph. NowI go to start it runs real rough for five seconds or so lots of spuddering sounds terriblethan cuts out. It will restart but will do the same thing, it will not stay running. Pulled the plugs they are black so its running rich had lots of fuel all over them. Brand new plugs and they are already black as night again. The distributor is set on top dead center or at leastI believe it is can't keep the car goin long enough to check it it starts up fast enough so I am assuming it isPlease help me I have no idea what it could be and really want my car running again!

Things I have re-placed are:
Plugs
distributor Cap
distributor Rotor
MAP Sensor
O2 Sensor
Cadilidic Converter
Fuel filter

Old 03-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Default RE: Starts than cuts out!

Check the MAF sensor, your not getting enough air.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:36 PM

Do I have a MAF sensor on a 90? Thought it was only on 89 and and earlier models. All I found was the MAP sensor if thier is a MAF where is it located? I can't find it.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:17 PM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It is located before your throttle body on you intake should have some wires plugged into it. Did you say you overheated the motor or just that i warmed up

Old 03-17-2008, 05:31 PM

Alright I will give that a try once I get it back. I'm open to other idea's also keep em comin guys I appreciate all the help I can get. The first problem with it bogging down happened when it warmed up after being on the freeway or just drivin around town for awhileits never overheated as long as its been with me at least. I have no idea how the last owner treated it I know two things wrong with the cooling system though. I have a leakingheater core a a water pump that is going it it has begun leaking through the weep holes. But I will get that fixed once its running again.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear member

I just got mine running for the first time today I had to replace the IAC Valve (Idle Air Control Unit) My car would rev up and down as it idled for about 10 -15 mins before smoothing out to a decent idle. All the auto stores wanted $135 for a new one, I did a little investigational research and found what other cars had the same IAC unit, Went to a Junkyard and bought one for 20 bucks. It is very simple to change, its on the left side of the throttle body black plastic using a #20 torx screw..That may be the cause of your problem. I dont think you have a MAF sensor since my 94 or 91 doesnt have one.
The Firebirds and Camaros equipped with the 3.1 Work (obviously) and the following cars that have the 3.4 DOHC

This product fits the following vehicles - click on a vehicle to see detailed engine information.
CHEVROLET back to top 1990 - 1992 CAMARO 1995 MONTE CARLO 1991 - 1995 LUMINA
OLDSMOBILE back to top 1991 - 1995 CUTLASS SUPREME
PONTIAC back to top 1990 - 1992 FIREBIRD 1991 - 1995 GRAND PRIX

Old 03-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Tech Droid

May want to check your fuel pressure, the pressureregulator may have gone bad.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:29 PM

Whats it take to check the fuel pressure? and where are the regulators located at?

Old 03-17-2008, 10:35 PM
March '09 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you have a the MPIMulti-Port Injection 3.1 vin codeS if so the mass air flow sensor is inbetween the air filterand the Plenum the other item to check would bethe ThrottlePositin Sensor TPS that is on the passanger side of the Throttlebodyshould have a wire plug connected to it. The pressure regulator is located under the Plenum on top of the fuel manifold to the back round in shape.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:03 AM

No, no MPI. Alright yea I will check that out to once I get it back if the guy can't find the problem I am letting him have it till about wednesday if he can't find it I will get it towed back here since its undrivable. Thanks everyone keep em comin i'm makin a check list.

Quick Reply: Starts than cuts out!