paint restoration questions

Old 10-20-2009, 05:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default paint restoration questions

i bought my 91 rs about a month ago from someone that was in prison and it is spray can primered and the paint underneath it looks untouched is there anyway i can strip this primer off of restoring the original paint without ruining it?

Old 10-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Primer is an open pore paint, so it's easier to break it down compared to a base/clear paint. Spray some brake cleaner on a rag and work at it. I would first test a spot down low where it doesn't show to make sure you don't hurt the original paint.
Since the original paint was primed over, wouldn't you think that it might be in bad shape though? Normally, you don't go painting over paint unless it's bad. GM had some real problems for a number of years with the water-based clear coat not holding up, and that could be why it was primed over.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:55 PM
4th Gear Member

91 was a Van Nuys Painted car and they faded on most that were not taken care of. And from your description it is hopeless trying to restore that paint finish.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well from what i see i dont see anything wrong with it but i cant say for sure till its stripped, but the primer is really blotchy and the paint underneath it looks even some of the primer is chipping off and the paint underneath still has its shine

Old 10-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If the paint underneath has a shine, it wasn't prepped properly and would have to be removed anyway if you ever planned on repainting the car.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i could kind of guess it wasnt prepped right just by seeing the spray paint primer and i wanted to sand it all they way down and re primer it right and paint it but my funds are a little tight right now so i figured i would give it a shot on bringing out the paint under the primer but i wanted to see how to do it without ruining it. and did u mean brake cleaner or brake fluid?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Cleaner. And actually, an acetone solvent would probably be better to use. Wear rubber gloves, and be careful around plastic parts when using any chemicals. Also don't forget to do a spot test on the paint. Both brake cleaner and acetone are fast drying. A good rule of thumb...the faster it dries, the less it will harm the plastic. Based on it's properties, a slow drying solvent will eat into plastics faster.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 AM
In the Staging Lanes

wouldnt that dry to fast for me to do any rubbing

Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

No, it will dry fast on the painted surface, but stay wetter longer on a soaked rag.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

o ok i got it im going to do an unnoticable test area on each panel to make sure they are all the same color and look good and then ill do it ill see if i can post some pics later today. im not sure if ill get around to the rub down today but i will post some pics today

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: paint restoration questions