Low power after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Low power after rebuild

Ok so here's the thing. i did a rebuild some time ago on my 3.1 and after the rebuild she doesn't have any power. this is what i have done to the motor.
New pistons and rings
turned the crank
2.8L heads
Medium cam

when i was doing my rebuild i triple checked the alignment of the crank and cam so i know that is good. i only thing right now that i can think if is during my rebuild a critter got into the exhaust but i do have good exhaust flow. it starts right up with no hesitation and no miss fires at idle. the plugs and wires are fairly new as in 4 months old and the time on the cap is just about dead on. also when your trying to accelerate it does kinda miss out but just a little bit.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What were the heads off of, and is your 3.1 the original engine? Before seeing you used 2.8 heads, I was thinking that maybe you used newer style 3.1 heads that used two different length pushrods (exhaust longer than intake). If you used 2.8 heads from the same vintage, they use all the same length pushrods, which are the same as the 3.1 (6.163"). You didn't pick up some replacement pushrods, did you? And you sure you got all your sensors reconnected?

Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i got the 2.8L heads from a firebird. it was about a 88-89 ish it had lower miles. yes i did replace the push rods with stock length. and yes all of the sensors are connected. could it be the push rods then??

Old 07-02-2010, 12:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

oh i got to tell you that the 3.1 is the original motor and it's a 92.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

lol sorry i just remembered something else to. this is all coming back to me when i did the rebuild. i did use small block lifters, i checked the height and they seemed to match.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Devoult
i got the 2.8L heads from a firebird. it was about a 88-89 ish it had lower miles. yes i did replace the push rods with stock length. and yes all of the sensors are connected. could it be the push rods then??
Only if you received different length rods, there's about a 1/4" difference between them. Might be worth a look anyway for peace of mind.
Do you have the packaging they came in to check part numbers?

Old 07-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

lol sorry i just remembered something else to. this is all coming back to me when i did the rebuild. i did use small block lifters, i checked the height and they seemed to match.
Just because the height of the lifter body is the same doesn't mean the center portion has the same amount of travel, or collapse rate.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

oh wow no i don't have the box any more but i know that i bought them out at o'reily's and i checked and they have nothing but the 6.163" rods they didn't have any that we're different length. i also went ahead and checked the 88-89 camaros to see if they were different with the 2.8 and they where the same length. BAH!!!

Old 07-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

i also went ahead and checked the 88-89 camaros to see if they were different with the 2.8 and they where the same length. BAH!!!
Right, that's what I was saying before about them being the same. It's the newer style 3.1 (which I think is now only a front wheel drive engine) that has the different length rods. It would have to have been a big screw up for you to get the wrong ones...not that it doesn't happen.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

so then throw the old heads back on? swap rockers?? try to figure out the lengths of the pushrods i need??

Quick Reply: Low power after rebuild