lets talk cold air

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:59 AM
Cool lets talk cold air

im considering putting a cold air intake on my 92 rs 3.1
any suggestions? pictures greatly appreciated.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:55 AM
3rd Gear Member

I really don't think its worth it, you won't experience any more gains than a good tune up would give you.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Tech Droid

If you do want to put in a cold air intake, make sure it is getting air from outside the engine compartment, and use proper size plumbing. A lot of the cold air intakes touted on places like E-Bay tur out to be hot air intakes, which are worse than the stock set up.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:19 PM

we had a similar discussion in the parking lot the other day we just finished a full tune up and started discussion putting in the K&N air filter or oping for a cold air intake. so far all signs are pointing to just going for a new K&N air filter

Old 07-16-2011, 02:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If you care about your motor, please don't use an oil bath filter. They let so much more dirt in. We can tell most of the cars with k&n filters by the oil. Use a larger oem style paper instead.
If you don't mind building the system yourself, the best air box hands down to use for a smaller motor is the cylindrical box out of a ford pick up. You'll keep oem filtration, have a larger filter surface, and be able to flow more air than your motor can use, with a good air flow profile

Old 07-17-2011, 07:25 PM

thanks for the impute , im also looking in to coating the intake valves to cut the temp?
my main goal is to get the most gas mileage out of my car and still have enough get up n go to deal with the stupid short on ramps after lights in my local area.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:52 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Stay away from the K&N filters. They do not filter nearly as good as the paper filters and the small 1-3 horses you may pick up are going to be at the expense of your engines life.

If your looking for best MPG. Good tune up. Not talking about just plugs, oil, and wires. Check your 02s out as well as your maf and other parts that dont get much love. If you can afford it dumb the cat or replace it. The 2.8/3.1 engines can get decent fuel mileage in the high 20s range when taken care of.

Last edited by cbr600rx7; 07-25-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Remember also that power is a function of how much air & fuel a motor takes in. With that in mind, it is very hard to mod for fuel economy and power. If you have a manual, more power will mean less downshifting, thus less fuel consumption.
It would be better in your interest to focus on subtraction. Put the car on a diet, it will be snappier and more economic. Eliminate the A/C and PS if you can live without them.
Get a high flow exhaust with headers. Get high compression pistons.
Most importantly, get a vacuum gauge. Drive with your vacuum as high as possible.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:49 PM

iv been looking at alot of headers but i just cant figure out what one fits my set up i know im running stock right now with 3.1 but i just cant afford to buy one that dosnt fit, and the guy at autozone is no help at all lol

Old 07-26-2011, 10:09 AM
3rd Gear Member

Once again, I would just do a tune up and save yourself a lot of money. It is a 20 year old V6, with most likely high(er) milage. Just enjoy what you have, to make that thing perform like a modern car will take a lot more than headers, chips, CAI, or any other easy fix out there.

Quick Reply: lets talk cold air