E-test?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 AM
Default E-test?????

does anyone out there have any tricks to help a 1988 2.8l mpfi with 270,xxx km on it pass a E-test, i'm a little woried that it wont pass

Old 07-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Why are you worried that it might not pass? Is there anything wrong with your engine, or are you missing any smog components? Or are you just concerned because of the miles? You could always dump a bottle of "Emission Pass" in your gas tank and let it run in, but then you'll never know if your engine was really able to pass on it's own. I would take it first and see what happens. Then if you don't pass, fix the cause and get it re-tested. Make sure the engine is well up to running temperature before the test too.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

I agree with 69. At least you'll have a starting point on what needs to be fixed if you don't pass. Usually a re-test is free.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:28 AM

the reason i was woried is because the previous onwer disconeced the air pump for the smog, and now the pump makes a funny noise, it still pumps air and the air flow increses when you rev the motor, idk its my first "ofical" car so i really want to start driveing it

Old 07-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The AIR pump injects air into the exhaust manifolds and cat converter on a cold engine, to help cut down cold engine emissions and to heat up the cat faster. The AIR system will operate when the engine is in "open loop" mode (cold engine bypassing some of the engine management sensors). That's one reason why it's important to have the engine good and hot before getting it tested.
What was disconnected, the belt, the hoses? If they do a "visual" inspection under the hood, and what was disconnected can be seen, then you'll have a problem passing. But, if your car passes visual and not the "sniffer test", it won't be because of the pump.