Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

To answer your question, yes the MAP sensor could be causing the problems you're having. But do check as suggested to make sure you don't have any other codes present. To answer your next question, the MAP sensor is a little black rectangular-ish looking piece. It's mounted on a bracket at the top edge of the firewall, either drivers side or closer to center, and has an electrical plug and vacuum hose connected to it. Make sure those connections are in good clean, and uncracked condition.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by craby
chiltons is the simplest repair manual there is. if you liked that your gona love this

That is confusing and cryptic compared to the information I got here at Camaro Forums. Chilton's is one of the sacred texts of Satanism as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
To answer your question, yes the MAP sensor could be causing the problems you're having. But do check as suggested to make sure you don't have any other codes present. To answer your next question, the MAP sensor is a little black rectangular-ish looking piece. It's mounted on a bracket at the top edge of the firewall, either drivers side or closer to center, and has an electrical plug and vacuum hose connected to it. Make sure those connections are in good clean, and uncracked condition.
Is this the MAP sensor? And is this what I need to replace?

https://camaroforums.com/forum/v6-te...mponent-61812/

Old 02-24-2012, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes that's the map sensor, but did you check for other codes?, with a thirdgen your going to become very familiar with flashing codes and what they mean.

It also sounds like you need to read, re read and read again a repair manual, if the chiltons looks cryptic to you then you are just looking for easy answers without having to trouble shoot the car yourself

Believe me, we all started at that point, I got my 89 at 17 years old and pretty much repaired everything using a chiltons, yes I got frustrated and yes I felt like screaming my head off but I learned alot from my car, especially diagnostics

Did that map sensor come undone at all? I saw in the link you put up that the clip is broken and another member already suggested a zip tie, if the connection is loose your gonna have problems

Post any other codes you have

Old 02-25-2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Caveman305
Yes that's the map sensor, but did you check for other codes?, with a thirdgen your going to become very familiar with flashing codes and what they mean.
No, because I'm confident it's the MAP sensor. If not, then I'll have a new MAP sensor.

It also sounds like you need to read, re read and read again a repair manual, if the chiltons looks cryptic to you then you are just looking for easy answers without having to trouble shoot the car yourself
Chilton's suck and wasn't there for me when I had to fix the greatest problem the Imperial Interceptor has ever had. You notice how they lump the entire Third Generation into one convenient book? Nevermind that there's vast differences between certain years. For instance, if you read a Chilton's, you'll be duped into thinking your '91 RS 3.1L V6 is sputtering and dying due to the "fuel pump" or "fuel filter" or some other peripheral issue that only a cursory book like Chilton's would tell you to fix. Nevermind it's the faulty injectors that have to ohm out between 12.2 and 12.5 or else the car will sputter and die. A Chilton's won't tell you that.

You know how I learned it was the injectors? From reading the internet, from reading the posts and opinions of Camaro experts like yourself. I then ran a content analysis of all of the posts wherein the problem was fixed and noticed a pattern: once the injectors were replaced, the problem was fixed.

Don't tell me I'm here for "easy answers." I'm here because Chilton's is a superficial tome that provides no interaction with experts. I'm college educated. That doesn't mean I'm smarter than anyone; it just means I know how to use methodology and a system to fix things rather than relying on some nebulous Q Document that sets in front of the counter at O'Reilly's.

Believe me, we all started at that point, I got my 89 at 17 years old and pretty much repaired everything using a chiltons, yes I got frustrated and yes I felt like screaming my head off but I learned alot from my car, especially diagnostics
So? I'm sorry you had to suffer that, but I'm sure if you had the innerwebs back in 1989, you wouldn't have bought a Chilton's.

Did that map sensor come undone at all? I saw in the link you put up that the clip is broken and another member already suggested a zip tie, if the connection is loose your gonna have problems

Post any other codes you have
No, the MAP sensor hasn't come undone. If it did, would my car be able to even run? I'm not sure. But, yeah, that clip is broken. I'll report more when my dad and I get after it some time in the indeterminate future.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear member

Maybe you should take advice these guys are giving you. I've learned a lot from the forums but you need to break out a manual every once in a while. If you dont like chiltons then order a factory manual. Dont get frustrated with it. Diagnosing a car is more difficult than pulling a code and changing a part sometimes. There is a method to diagnosing problems but you're ignoring it. Flash your codes until you are sure you have them all, because there may be another issue that could be causing your problem or a code that can help point you in the right direction.

Last edited by greenmachine96; 02-25-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so you have not had the junk yard injectors cleaned and flow tested? have you tested the fuel pressure,,, if so what is it? so far you have thrown alot of parts at this car over a year and a half with no luck.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by craby
so you have not had the junk yard injectors cleaned and flow tested? have you tested the fuel pressure,,, if so what is it? so far you have thrown alot of parts at this car over a year and a half with no luck.
Uh, hello? The car is running after the injector crisis, so I've had more than luck. I've beaten a flaw in the system that has stumped mechanics and technicians. You want to compare that success to the other posts around the internet of '91 Camaro RS 3.1L V6's that aren't running due to the same problem that gets consistently misdiagnosed? "No luck" -- yeah, right.

I put nearly 6,000 miles on the car post injector replacement. And you want to act like it's still that. Geeze.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by greenmachine96
Maybe you should take advice these guys are giving you. I've learned a lot from the forums but you need to break out a manual every once in a while. If you dont like chiltons then order a factory manual. Dont get frustrated with it. Diagnosing a car is more difficult than pulling a code and changing a part sometimes. There is a method to diagnosing problems but you're ignoring it. Flash your codes until you are sure you have them all, because there may be another issue that could be causing your problem or a code that can help point you in the right direction.
Haven't you read the thread? They're the ones who showed me how to even read the codes.

And I'm going by process of elimination because I'm confident the problem lies with the MAP sensor. I'd rather put all my chips into fixing a $50 part first that's going to need to be fixed anyway.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:40 PM
2nd Gear member

I understand that and i understand why you would want to replace it but you came off really bad in some of the post in this thread. i dont think you meant to really, just saying. Maybe i just took it wrong? Anyway good luck with the car.

Example: Can you see where I'm coming from?

Originally Posted by The Emperor
Thanks. You're as helpful as a Chilton's. Mmh.

[/B]And how do I "flash" for trouble codes? Lift my shirt up at passing traffic? What does that mean?

That's the best you could come up with? "Flash for trouble codes"? You can't give me a direction like, "It might be the fuel anti-matter containment pod"?
Originally Posted by The Emperor
That's Chilton's-like garbage. It's not helpful whatsoever.
Not to mention that last post you posted talking to craby....

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light