82 Camaro Berlinetta v6 Spark Plug Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Default 82 Camaro Berlinetta v6 Spark Plug Wiring

Hello I am new and excited to learn more about my vehicle during this ambitious restore process. I currently know very little about the cars inner workings, but plan to do what I do best. Learn. I have done some mechanical repairs on cars in the past, but don't consider myself a mechanic... at all.

I bought my Camaro about 2 days ago and it ran very well after I replaced the faulty thermostat. Yesterday it began to have a hard time starting so I stopped by my local auto store and had the battery tested. It tested bad so I bought a new one and after that the car started dying while at an idle. I thought this was very strange so had them double check that it was the correct battery then ultimately went with spark plugs, wires, and distributor cap. I put everything in and the car still seemed to have the same problem and then I made the fatal error of looking up firing order. I pulled all the wires without noting them this time and then proceeded to put them as the OEM suggested. Now the car will not start at all lol I did not note how they were so I am doomed to start from scratch and see if I can figure this out. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! I have been searching the internet for house and all I can fine is how the wires should go, not however the previous owner had them. It is to my understanding the the position on the cap can be changes, but I have not the slightest idea how.

Thank you in advance.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:39 PM
Tech Droid

Here are diagram of the spark plug wiring and firing order. You need to have the engine at TDC on the compression stroke and rotate the distributor housing so that the rotor points to the #1 wire tower. This is needed in case the distributor was put back in a different position and the wires moved on the distributor cap to compensate. Then check timing with a timing light to get it just right. Engine is computer controlled, so the EST wire has to be disconnected in order to set timing properly.
Your image is the first one on the left
1982 camaro v6 fring order - Bing Images

Last edited by z28pete; 06-26-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by z28pete
Here are diagram of the spark plug wiring and firing order. You need to have the engine at TDC on the compression stroke and rotate the distributor housing so that the rotor points to the #1 wire tower. This is needed in case the distributor was put back in a different position and the wires moved on the distributor cap to compensate. Then check timing with a timing light to get it just right. Engine is computer controlled, so the EST wire has to be disconnected in order to set timing properly.
Your image is the first one on the left
1982 camaro v6 fring order - Bing Images
Thank you, I bought the book on it and realized that someone has messed with the distributor so I took it to a shop to have it re-aligned. I replaced every part in the ignition system except that because I was not comfortable taking it out, yet. I am going to take my time and learn how to do things as I go once it is running. Thank you so much for your reply!

Old 12-31-2019, 06:36 PM
Default Hey!

I know it's an old post but I just got an '82 Berlinetta 2.8l. I have no knowledge on the car but am having fun learning about it.
What ever happened to your car? Did you find it worth getting into? Did you keep your engine?
Thanks for posting!