3.1 slapping 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008 | 11:30 PM
|
Fancy Sparkle
Default RE: 3.1 slapping 2nd gear

ya, i've done business with them before. had a 460 block checked out two years ago.

Old 05-29-2008 | 11:35 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

whyed you pull the whole block for just a crack in the heads man.....matter of fact wouldnt it be eaiser to just buy a new set of sbc head cheaper too?

Old 05-29-2008 | 11:44 PM
|
Fancy Sparkle

small crack on the heads, easy fix. and i found a crack in the lifter valley on the block. and i've already ported and polished these heads, and i don't really feel like doing that all over again

Old 06-02-2008 | 03:03 PM

I have this same issue with the 1990 V6 RS I purchased. It's stock, and I put new tires on it last Saturday, but it still slaps into second and can chirp the tires. It's only got 86,000 miles on it, so I don't think there is too much wear in the parts.

Old 06-02-2008 | 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I have a couple (or so) ? about your chirps. Has it always shifted like that? Is your TV cable adjusted correctly? My 91 305 doesn't even come close to scratching the tires, no matter how much lead I have in my shoe. A short while back, I started the car and the trans acted like I had a radical shift kit in it, hey...what I always wanted, but it worried me because I knew that wasn't right. The next day, it was back to normal. I have since had the trans fluid completely transfused, and it never has acted up since. For mine, I was thinking that one possibility could have been some crud in the valve body blocking a passage? If yours has always shifted that way, is it possible that some p.o. swapped in a different servo? Another thing you could try is to disconnect your battery for a while, reconnect it and drive the car to have the computer "re-learn" the shifting points. Yours just doesn't sound right, usually it takes a trans reprogramming kit to make the tires break free in a 1-2 shift.
Jeeeeez! This answer ran long!!

Old 06-02-2008 | 05:44 PM
Overdrive Member

The 700R4/4L60 does not have any computer controled shift solenoids. Only a Torque Converter Clutch. So disconecting the battery will do nothing for it. The 4L60E has computer contoled shift solenoids.

Old 06-02-2008 | 06:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Alrighty then, scratch that one from my suggestion box!
I have done that with success on a previous car before, which is why it slipped out...just wasn't a 3rd Gen though.

Old 06-03-2008 | 02:21 PM
|
Fancy Sparkle

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

I have a couple (or so) ? about your chirps. Has it always shifted like that? Is your TV cable adjusted correctly? My 91 305 doesn't even come close to scratching the tires, no matter how much lead I have in my shoe. A short while back, I started the car and the trans acted like I had a radical shift kit in it, hey...what I always wanted, but it worried me because I knew that wasn't right. The next day, it was back to normal. I have since had the trans fluid completely transfused, and it never has acted up since. For mine, I was thinking that one possibility could have been some crud in the valve body blocking a passage? If yours has always shifted that way, is it possible that some p.o. swapped in a different servo? Another thing you could try is to disconnect your battery for a while, reconnect it and drive the car to have the computer "re-learn" the shifting points. Yours just doesn't sound right, usually it takes a trans reprogramming kit to make the tires break free in a 1-2 shift.
Jeeeeez! This answer ran long!!
it's always done that. i had the tranny fluid replaced 2000 miles ago, still chirps into 2nd. idk about the tv cable. i tried putting my front tires on the rear of the car and i got prolonged spin going into 2nd (Kelly Charger tires have NO grip, wet or dry) my Hoosier Radial GT's hook a lot better than the Chargers, and i can still get a chirp out of them.

Old 06-03-2008 | 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Check the TV cable just to be safe, if it's out of adjustment it can do damage to the trans. And since it controls line pressure and shift points, it could have something to do with it. If your cable is fine, then I'm wondering if someone may have modified the trans somewhere along the line? 1-2 bang shifts/breaking tires free wasn't factory, but it is what a lot of hot-rodders want their car to do!

Old 06-03-2008 | 06:41 PM
Overdrive Member

So it has always done that. I thought it just started.
I had gotten a rebuilt 700 from a guy that I trust as a builder for my mom's 84 S10 2.8 and with the tranny he built it shifted kinda hard and at higher RPMs. He explained to me it was best for it to shift like that mostly due to the lack of power. Hard shifting also makes the clutches last longer because of less slipping.

Quick Reply: 3.1 slapping 2nd gear