1991 Camaro RS thinking of buying

Old 05-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Default 1991 Camaro RS thinking of buying

Hey everyone whats up?

I found a deal on a Camaro on craigslist an just got back from looking at it. It is going for $500 and is complete.

Seems to be in good shape with a few problems.

What does everyone think of the below problem?

It will start and run for 20 seconds but then just quits. The current owner has changed the fuel pump an other sensors on the car an it still does it.

He thinks it is in the computer or temp sensor, does this sound familiar?

I am thinking of seriously buying it but would like to hear opinions first. If its just the computer it should be an easy fix.

It does have some mix matched panels but painting it will fix all that. Needs a headliner, put new seals on the t-tops.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

not real sure on your yr but if it has the chip on the key then it could be that. the security system in the ignition will do that.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:33 AM

The key does appear to have a chip in it I think. Its a 91' camaro.

And to correct my first post. The only way this car will start is by spraying starter fluid in it directly while starting it.

It will start an die.

So that says the engine is good, its just not getting fuel to it.

Does anyone think this sounds like the computer might be bad?

He says he changed out the fuel pump as well as several of the sensors.

I have the car, title, keys in hand so am ready to start getting my problems solved. Thanks to anyone that can help?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

again not familar so does it have a carb, tbi, or tpi for fuel? is the fuel pump in the tank or on the motor? hoping to get someone to respond that has one like yours but if not we can work though a few things.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:49 AM

It is not cabureted. It is fuel injected. Not sure where the fuel pump is but the previous owner said he already changed it and that did not help. So I am guessing its outside the tank.

He also changed out several sensors. The things that havent been changed are the computer and temp sensor and they seemed to think the problem lies there.

Something is obviously telling the car not to open the injectors.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 AM

I just got in from buying a new core "Engine Control Computer". I plugged it in and yet the car still does the same thing. Engine will turn over but will not fire. (unless you spray starting fluid in it).

Anyone have any good ideas to get this car running.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

does it havr a thottle body or fuel injectors. thottle body is on the top of the intake manifold like a carborator. port injectors inject the fuel into the intake manifold at each cylinder intake runner. with tpi there will be an injector for each cylinder. do u have a v6 or 8? it may be easier to take some pictures of the motor from different angles from top and bottom and post them.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:52 AM

It should have a throttle body? I will try to take some pics an post today.

I had a guy ask me the same thing, an auto service advertising on craigslist. He said if it did he could run a hot wire from the wiring harness to the throttle body an make it run an drive normally. He thinks its the computer.

I changed the computer core out an it did nouthing. I didn't do anything else to it but plug it in, is there anything I need to do to refresh the car so the new computer takes effect.

It has the 3.1 v6

Old 05-27-2009, 04:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It would have a throttle body even if it was injected. The 3.1 is the exact same thing as my 2.8, just 3.1. I'd check timing, i had a problem with mine starting and running bad.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:26 AM

Unplug the mass air sensor(or the map sensor i forget which one), it will make the car go in it default mode and bypass the computer(when this happens the check engine light should be on).... If it stays running then its a senor problem.... I had the same problem turned out that the idle control, and the mass air was ,messed up... Mine would start run back fire a couple of times then die.... I hope i helped.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 Camaro RS thinking of buying