transmission wont shift into 3rd or 4th gear???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Default transmission wont shift into 3rd or 4th gear???

And the transmission wont shift correctly in to third or fourth but it will shift into second. i was told its not blown because theres still pressure at the pump, but what exactly does that mean, will it need to be rebuilt? thanks .. btw its a 700r4 tranny

Old 08-04-2012, 05:56 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tom22
And the transmission wont shift correctly in to third or fourth but it will shift into second. i was told its not blown because theres still pressure at the pump, but what exactly does that mean, will it need to be rebuilt? thanks .. btw its a 700r4 tranny
rebuild time

3/4 clutch failure and metal shavings have now traversed the tranny

very common failure on old 700r's/4L60's

Old 08-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
3/4 clutch failure and metal shavings have now traversed the tranny
I agree, 3-4 clutches are worn out. But what metal shavings would you be getting from worn clutch discs?
The trans is supposed to still be ok to drive when the 3-4 is gone, but you'd only have a 2 speed trans.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:58 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I agree, 3-4 clutches are worn out. But what metal shavings would you be getting from worn clutch discs?
The trans is supposed to still be ok to drive when the 3-4 is gone, but you'd only have a 2 speed trans.
it's going to overheat if you try to drive beyond 30mph

the fluid will burn

more failure always occurs thus needing a rebuild. It needs to be cleaned

how many people have you seen other than perhaps yourself or me who immediately stop driving the car when this occurs?

Nothing like the smell of burnt tranny fluid.....yummy

Old 08-06-2012, 01:07 PM

Yea looks like a rebuild is coming up

Old 08-07-2012, 04:58 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tom22
Yea looks like a rebuild is coming up

can you drop it and re-install it yourself? If so, you should be able to get a stock bench rebuild including a rebuilt TC for $500 cash. Shop around

you'll need 12 quarts transmission fluid and since the trans is off you may as well replace tran mount, u-joints and even the pinion seal if it's a wee bit leaky

Old 08-08-2012, 11:26 AM

i Can pull the transmission out, as far as fixing it myself im not sure, ive never gotten into transmissionS

Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you have to drive keep it in manual 2nd gear on your shifter. By itself in can not shift into 3rd but if the transmission is trying to shift into 3rd it will lower the line pressure and cause second to slip and overheat like torque said.

Torque is saying if you can remove and replace the transmission you can buy a already rebuilt unit a lot cheaper then paying someone else to do the whole job. 3 common mistakes for DIY install a trans. Not seating the torque converter and Not flushing the trans cooling lines and not checking the radiator/trans lines for leaks. All of these mistakes can wipe out the new transmission and will most likely NOT be covered by any warranty. You can search any of those topics on youtube and find several How to videos.
Good luck.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:04 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
If you have to drive keep it in manual 2nd gear on your shifter. By itself in can not shift into 3rd but if the transmission is trying to shift into 3rd it will lower the line pressure and cause second to slip and overheat like torque said.

Torque is saying if you can remove and replace the transmission you can buy a already rebuilt unit a lot cheaper then paying someone else to do the whole job. 3 common mistakes for DIY install a trans. Not seating the torque converter and Not flushing the trans cooling lines and not checking the radiator/trans lines for leaks. All of these mistakes can wipe out the new transmission and will most likely NOT be covered by any warranty. You can search any of those topics on youtube and find several How to videos.
Good luck.
I always add an in line filter to the trans line going to the cooler.

I shopped around and ultimately brought my trans to a shop for a stock rebuild but also new sprags and a rebuilt TC, $420 cash out the door. The secret is pay cash.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Thank you guys

Quick Reply: transmission wont shift into 3rd or 4th gear???