really need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:41 PM
Angry really need some help

I got a 383 stroker that I was attempting to put in a 89 rs one thing led to another and I couldn't make ends meet.....but I found a 95 z28 with a lt4 set up with a 4l60e trans I want to put the 383 in the 95 but I know I would have to see if I can make the transfer work mechincal instead or electrical....CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO DO THIS OR IF THIS IS EVEN POSSIBLE????

Old 08-31-2011, 10:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

transferring a old style carb motor in a 4th gen is not easy but can be done. you will have allot of learning and work to do before starting. you will need to cut the body to let the distributor fit and a raised hood will be needed to allow room for the carb. the computer uses sensors from the transmission, motor and wheels to operate the motor, trans and brakes. it also uses the bcm in most every system in the car. thats if the 95 has a bcm, i dont think bcm came until 96. in any case if the lt4 is running i would keep it. maybe sell the 383 and pick up a 50 shot with some headers and hp exhaust.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 PM

Is there a way to send pics so I can show you what kinda space I'm working with cause I'm pretty sure my striker would fit. As for the transmission is there not a way a way to bypass the sensors?? Right now I got a built 383 with a t350 trans.... the issue for the lt4 is the Guy wants the engine for an 68

Old 09-01-2011, 12:37 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

like i said yes it will fit, you will have to do some cutting on the body so the distributor will fit and the carberator will stick up to far for the stock hood so you will need a hood that is raised in the center. cheeks has a carbed motor in his but is set up more for the track than the street. the motor mounts are different so you will need to make some that will work, the exhaust will need to be fabbed in as well.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:03 AM

I'm pretty new to this the only knowledge I have is from a project camaro that went wrong when I got back from Afghan. I had to bypass the CPU for that so I could start it. Would it not be the sane concept? Just bypass all the sensor? I really appreciate the help bro.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:54 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

its a major project. cost is considerable. there is a thread on here where the guy does what you are wanting to do and goes over all the things he had to do and what it costs. do a couple searches using the site search and see if you can find it. one of the guys may remember it better than i and respond. the logical answer is to give him the 383 and trans and keep the lt4 and trans in the car.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:01 AM

Thanks for helping man I appreciate it

Old 09-01-2011, 06:47 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Much, Much Much less headache and money if you follow thru with your original plan. You can find on the parts needed for a 3rd for a little above dirt. The old school Small block was never in the 4th gen so aftermarket K-member or custom made motor mounts are needed. The aftermarket K-member would cost more than a good 3rd gen body. If you look in the V-6 to V-8 swap thread in the V6 section there is a link to one guy that did it for street use. He estimates the cost at about 5K
Everything is tied to the PCM (Power train Control Module). All your gages, antilock system brake system, Security system. You cannot just by pass it. If the PCM does not see the motor running it will not trigger any of the sub system or work the transmission. You have rewire just about the whole car and build your own instrument cluster. Next we can talk about the custom exhaust your going to need but I think you get the point.
I have seen a few finished converted cars and they have almost no value, No one wants them in fact most of the time they get parted out. For every one I have seen finished I’ll see 3 unfinished for sale. I think a lot of people get the motor running then they realize nothing works and they just give up.
A 3rd gen with a 383 is will bring a decent price if the install and body are nice.
LT4 did not come Camaros in 95 Only 97 (then just 100 total cars) you don’t still have a LT4? They are worth a lot of money. Heck you could get $1000 just for the heads and the intake.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-01-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:59 PM

The Guy I was gonna get it from wants the lt4 for a 68 camaro I can see why but I was gonna trade my built 383 its brand new and the only time its been ran is on the synopsis from the shop that built it it pushes 445/450. The 3rd Gen I was gonna put it in wouldn't of lasted the body was to rusted out I got the car but was inexperienced when I bought it so all I got is the motor hood headers radiator and fans. I'm just dying to put it in a Camaro wanted one since I was a kid

Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 PM

One more question. Now I know I need all the sensors to run the car legally and everything runs electronically but I would need everything to run mechanically right? But if wanted to put the engine in that car and just get it to run I could bypass it all I got a t350 trans I would just need to run everything mechanically fuel pump trans etc.