Loud Chattering Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Default Loud Chattering Noise

So i have an 89 with a t56 from a 97 camaro. A couple weeks back i started hearing a slight "chattering" sound coming from what sounded like the transmission area. Today I got in and as soon as i gave it some gas, the "chattering" became very loud. Im not sure what it is. Possibly a u-joint or and output shaft bearing.

Anybody have an idea of what it might be?

Old 06-21-2012, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear member

To check for the drive line and u-joints going out, you can just try to twist it and move it in all directions. It should not have much movement. I hope its something simple and you back on the road soon.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 PM

I was planning on getting under it tomorrow to see if its the u joints. I was also reading that it could be low diff fluid causing it to make the noise, so im not sure. I hope I can get it back on the road soon.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:01 AM

Well I checked the drive shaft and it's fine, theres little movement there. I'm stumped now.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:34 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

need to explain the type of noise better or make a recording of it. is there any vibration associated with noise? could be clutch, trans, rearend, exhaust, exhaust shield, starter rubbing flywheel,,,

Old 06-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

.... or the throwout bearing. Do you get the chattering while the trans is in neutral and you give it gas? Do you hear a difference between clutch pedal up and pedal to the floor, or pedal pushed down just slightly?

Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
need to explain the type of noise better or make a recording of it. is there any vibration associated with noise? could be clutch, trans, rearend, exhaust, exhaust shield, starter rubbing flywheel,,,
Ohh. Thats a good list..... I have trouble looking at the bigger picture sometimes. lol

Old 06-22-2012, 12:32 PM

me and my friend just took a look at it. And the noise is more of a clunking that only comes when the car is in gear and only after it starts rolling. We played ith the drive shaft which did have too much play in it, i'd say about o a 1/4" rotation each way. Then i put the car and gear and let the wheels spin. I could tell the noise was coming from the rear end area. So we were thinking it could be something wrong with the diff. Possibly a bad shim or something else. Neither of us really have any experience with diffs

Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Make sure whoever did the trans swap didn't forget to reinstall the torque arm. You should see a metal arm bolted to the front portion of the rearend, and then going forward the other end is attached to the tail of the trans. Also make sure those mounting points aren't loose, and that the trans mount isn't ripped apart. Any one of these can cause a noise if loose or broken. If you're certain the clunk is coming from the rearend itself, you've got excessive differential play (it's worn out).

Old 06-22-2012, 01:00 PM

the torque arm is installed and tightened and the trans mount is in good condition and all bolts are tight. I think I'm just going to have a shop take a look at it since, like I said, I don't have much knowledge on differentials.

Quick Reply: Loud Chattering Noise