Newbie Needs Shock/strut help :D

Old 06-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Default Newbie Needs Shock/strut help :D

Hey guys,

Newbie here, first post and even newer to self fixing.

I've had a 92 Camaro for a few years now and I need new shocks and struts. I went to my usual mechanic and he quoted me $874.81 for the job and I almost choked lol.

I have a friend who is pretty good at fixing up cars and he has offered to do it, but I need some advice on what shocks/struts to get and if it's only shocks/struts I need to replace. Is it as easy as popping out the old and popping in the new?

Also if anyone familiar with it knows, is it a very complex job to do on a 92? I wanna make sure it's not too intense and he's biting off more then he can chew heh.

I just use the car to get around to work and college and I'm on a pretty tight budget so even though I know there is some amazing shocks out there I really only want what i need to make the ride smoother and safer at this point, without buying total crap ones that will not last that long.

I'm in the process of replacing all four tires. I replaced the front two last week and will replace the back two next paycheck. So I figured now would be a good time to do the shocks/struts too since my buddy is offering lol. Then finish it off with a good ol' alignment.

Any help/advice/details you camaro aficionado's can offer up would be greatly appreciated. I think I'm going to love this site lol.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Droid

Nothing is that easy in a Camaro, but with the proper tools, it is a pretty straight forward job. The first thing would be to invest in a repair manual covering your car read the procedure and see if you are up to the job. You next item is to select the brand of strut or shock you want to use. Like anything else you get what you pay for. I prefer Bilstein but for 1/2 the price you can get KYB, which are perfectly adequate for a daily driver.