My 82 Camaro Berlinetta v6 Project!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Default My 82 Camaro Berlinetta v6 Project!

Hello I am new and excited to learn more about my vehicle during this ambitious restore process. I currently know very little about the cars inner workings, but plan to do what I do best. Learn. I have done some mechanical repairs on cars in the past, but don't consider myself a mechanic... at all.

I bought my Camaro about 2 days ago and it ran very well after I replaced the faulty thermostat. Yesterday it began to have a hard time starting so I stopped by my local auto store and had the battery tested. It tested bad so I bought a new one and after that the car started dying while at an idle. I thought this was very strange so had them double check that it was the correct battery then ultimately went with spark plugs, wires, and distributor cap. I put everything in and the car still seemed to have the same problem and then I made the fatal error of looking up firing order. I pulled all the wires without noting them this time and then proceeded to put them as the OEM suggested. Now the car will not start at all lol I did not note how they were so I am doomed to start from scratch and see if I can figure this out. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! I have been searching the internet for house and all I can fine is how the wires should go, not however the previous owner had them. It is to my understanding the the position on the cap can be changes, but I have not the slightest idea how.

Thank you in advance for any advice and looking forward to checking out your rides!

Attached Thumbnails My 82 Camaro Berlinetta v6 Project!-1536502_4281761580146_2303230239066100597_n-1-.jpg  
Old 06-30-2014, 11:55 AM
1st Gear Member

WOW! Berlinetta huh? Wish i got my hands on one of those before i bought my big v8 RS! haha.

First thing i would say about buying your car is... how old is the gas that is in the tank? Bad gas can cause the engine to run poorly, especially with start ups! Put some new gas in there and some gas treatment, also have you looked IN your gas tank??

When I bought my camaro the fuel gauge said half but the float in my tank was broken so it wasn't reading properly.

Firing order? eh... Do you have a Chilton book or Haynes Repair manual? They help a lot and give great ideas for a cheap price!

Good luck to you!

Old 07-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by B_Dubya
WOW! Berlinetta huh? Wish i got my hands on one of those before i bought my big v8 RS! haha.

First thing i would say about buying your car is... how old is the gas that is in the tank? Bad gas can cause the engine to run poorly, especially with start ups! Put some new gas in there and some gas treatment, also have you looked IN your gas tank??

When I bought my camaro the fuel gauge said half but the float in my tank was broken so it wasn't reading properly.

Firing order? eh... Do you have a Chilton book or Haynes Repair manual? They help a lot and give great ideas for a cheap price!

Good luck to you!
Yeah loved it the whole 3 times I got to drive it lol the person I bought it from took it to a shop to get it check out. I think it's electrical, but you are most likely right that the problem started with the gas. I got the gas treatment, but never got to put it in the tank. :/

I have the Chilton book and the firing order I placed the new wires in is the correct order, but I think the previous owner changed it (moved the first plug on the cap). More than likely the distributor needs to be moved to put the car back to it's original firing order. Hope I get it back soon I have lots of plans for this car! lol

Thank you very much for the reply!