just another '89 RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Default just another '89 RS

Hello all,

I just recently bought a 1989 Camaro RS. I'm in Connecticut, but the car is from California and has sat for the past two years. Currently isn't running, but that's why this is just a fun project. Body and frame are in good shape for the age, but unfortunately, it's an automatic. Short term plans are to get her running, and then long term to either just drive her and sell, or swap in something like a 6.0 from a newer gto and a 6 speed or something along those lines.

The engine doesn't start unless I pour fuel in the throttle body. The P/O says he could hear the fuel pump click on, but my plan now is to possibly drop the tank and clean it and the lines. Wish me luck :-)

Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Good luck with the short term goals i have the same one! Got mine running tranny swap time to get her driving! Glad to see another camaro taken from a lawn

Old 11-29-2013, 09:15 PM

Thanks, Tip.

My Dad came over and we jacked up the rear end, trying to figure some stuff out. I can hear the fuel pump humming when the key is put to the 'on' position, so we unbolted the fuel lines from the input of the fuel filter and we weren't getting any gas from the line. We looked into how we could get to the fuel pump so see if something is gunked up. It looks like we have to drop the fuel tank in order to get to it. Does anyone have any advice on this?

The car seems to have a custom exhaust, at least from the cat and on, and its been welded together at certain points making it difficult to remove the exhaust. Looks like we may have to get the sawzall out to get the exhaust down, and then I'll probably get a new stainless steel exhaust. (Stupid CT roads...)

So next up is just cleaning the gas tank and fuel pump for now...

Old 01-04-2014, 07:09 PM

It's been a while since I've worked on anything, but we seem to have found the problem! My Dad and I lifted the rear of the car, and pretty much had to all but take the rear axle out of the car. We got the fuel tank out and inspected the fuel pump. Since the car sat for around two years, the fuel separated and ate away at the rubber hose that connects the fuel pump to the fuel tank sending unit, leaving them disconnected. I figured while I have the tank out, I'll replace whatever can be replaced. The fuel tank sending unit, fuel pump, and the lock ring. I figured I'd also replace the fuel filter as long as I'm replacing other fuel line parts.

I want to replace a lot of the rubber hoses for the fuel lines, so I still have to get some rubber hoses. The exhaust seemed to be rusting through after the catalytic converter, and was welded in spots making it very difficult to remove. We ended up cutting the exhaust in a few places, leading to the necessity of replacing the exhaust. Any advice on exhaust systems?

My Dad had a Borla on his '91 GMC Sierra, and I loved the sound, along with the full stainless steel build. It's expensive, but I want this car to be built right.

After we get the car up and running, it'll be time to perform a standard tuneup. Any advice or guides on what should be replaced? Spark plugs? Distributor? What does everyone here think? I don't know too much about these cars.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:58 AM

Put in the new fuel assembly and put everything back together. Found a great deal on a borla and pulled the trigger on it. Ran the fuel pump to clear the fuel line and tried to start it but nothing doing. Going to check to hear fuel spray and spark tonight