Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   82-92 Projects (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-projects-108/)
-   -   89 RS Budget Restoration (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-projects-108/89-rs-budget-restoration-55747/)

Ticeblue 03-24-2011 05:31 AM

Well since I'm to new to see the pictures it kinda sucks.......but this sounds like it is coming along great for you and I am starting my project car as well it's a 86 with a 350....

Anyway maybe you could help me out with a part I'm looking for. It that piece by the headlights that flat piece that sits under/in front of the headlights mine is bent/broke and I can't find one anywhere here in TX, I'm thinking if I know what to call it that might help me.

Great job on your car maybe I will get permission to view the pictures sometime in the near future

torque_is_good 03-26-2011 02:06 PM

it was the first time I ever used a turbine hvlp for paint. You really need to thin it down more than the mfr suggests. My first panel had spits on it so I'll have to wet sand that down but otherwise, it's painted and drying. Of course a wind picked up while i was painting and blew a few tree goobers into my garage and onto the car and a couple bugs are stuck. Those will be sanded out as well

torque_is_good 04-28-2011 05:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
time to work on the gauges and then install the new stereo and button up the interior

single stage urethane paint

new center caps from hawks 3rd gen

I painted the wheels silver. They look better than the photo shows and the RS badges from the boneyard are in excellent shape

torque_is_good 05-11-2011 06:45 AM

I have the instrument cluster out adn the new heater core is en-route. I'm going to replace a capacitor to see if that fixes the tach which is off by about 2k rpms

I found the component for $1.13 and $8 shipping; no kidding, $8 to ship something that weighs less than 1 ounce

torque_is_good 07-25-2011 04:34 PM

About time I update this. I gave up on the tach and just bought one for $60. Now I have a tach that works. My heater core leaked after a few weeks so I bought the $30 special from Adv Auto and so far so good.

Now it's just little details left. The high beam switch was killing me. I would get it together, it would work about 6 times and then the metal rod would no longer push far enough so I disassembled/reassembled several times. I messed with the switch on the column and finally said ENOUGH!!!

I installed a floor mounted dimmer switch. It's the best $7.39 I spent as it works every time.

Now all that is left is the horn. It worked before I started so of course I caused the problem.

I also bought an adjustable fan switch, the one with the radiator probe. I'll probably install that and set it to turn on the fan at around 205 degrees vs the red hot temp that the factory uses.

torque_is_good 11-28-2011 01:12 PM

let's bring closure to this thread.

I put about 1,000 miles on the vehicle to make sure it drove well and had no issues. It is now being driven by the teenage daughters of a friend. They were pleased to be able to get a rebuilt vehicle which is safe and mechanically sound.

My new project; why a Dodge Ram pickup. It fell into my lap and is a far cry from an S10 and a small block conversion which I was considering.

Camarosc35 01-10-2012 06:50 PM

Well, you finished it and someone is enjoying all the work that went into it, a good ending.