89 Camaro RS renovation

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Default 89 Camaro RS renovation

Ok so i just got a 89 camaro rs with a 305, carb, 5 speed. ran the block number and it comes up with year 86-88. Im new to older chevys but have a lot of experience with newer cars so I am just looking for some advice.

Ive already searched the forum pretty good and have realized the 305 has go to go. Will be looking at a 350 or 383 when the funds are available. Basicly i just need a few questions answered. If i build the 305 will most of those performance parts swap over to a 350? Such as headers, intake, heads, cams. Also is it better to go with buying a gm create motor or a used 350 and rebuild it. I have rebuilt motors before but never a sbc so am just wondering about difficulty/cost effectiveness.

Other info. Im NOT switching to fuel injection, i know the benefits. I know this is a 24 year old car, i know buying a new car could be faster. Basically please help me with my questions and dont say "go fuel injected" or "buy a new car". Also my hp goal is for the time being 300-350 but i would like to expand on that more down the road.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nh89camaro
Ok so i just got a 89 camaro rs with a 305, carb, 5 speed. ran the block number and it comes up with year 86-88. Im new to older chevys but have a lot of experience with newer cars so I am just looking for some advice.

Ive already searched the forum pretty good and have realized the 305 has go to go. Will be looking at a 350 or 383 when the funds are available. Basicly i just need a few questions answered. If i build the 305 will most of those performance parts swap over to a 350? Such as headers, intake, heads, cams. Also is it better to go with buying a gm create motor or a used 350 and rebuild it. I have rebuilt motors before but never a sbc so am just wondering about difficulty/cost effectiveness.

Other info. Im NOT switching to fuel injection, i know the benefits. I know this is a 24 year old car, i know buying a new car could be faster. Basically please help me with my questions and dont say "go fuel injected" or "buy a new car". Also my hp goal is for the time being 300-350 but i would like to expand on that more down the road.

welcome. If the car is from where your name is then I'd be more concerned about rust/rot than performance.

First, feel free to check my restoration thread

next, the 305 is not a performance engine but they have good low end torque.

If the engine runs fine, and you don't have the funds, then leave it be but change the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Give the carb a good cleaning as well.

Then go for some headers and y pipe and a free flowing cat back system.

Put some different gears in the back and you'll be adequately pleased for everyday driving.

When you are ready (if ever) for more power then the tranny will need to be replaced as well.

If you don't have a Chevy factory service manual I still have mine from the 89 as well as a haynes

Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the welcome. I just put in new plugs and wires to eliminate a skip and adjusted the timing a bit, runs a lot smoother now, will most likely do cap/rotor soon. Then I think headers is next on the list.

And yes the car is from NH. It has some rust issues the i can fix with some welding but my long term goal is to get the motor/trans/rear end all setup the way i want it and then finding a decent shape shell from down south and swapping everything over.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nh89camaro
Thanks for the welcome. I just put in new plugs and wires to eliminate a skip and adjusted the timing a bit, runs a lot smoother now, will most likely do cap/rotor soon. Then I think headers is next on the list.

And yes the car is from NH. It has some rust issues the i can fix with some welding but my long term goal is to get the motor/trans/rear end all setup the way i want it and then finding a decent shape shell from down south and swapping everything over.
since it's a northern vehicle then be prepared to really soak the exh manifold bolts with pb blaster and let them sit overnight

then, simply break out the sawzall as you aren't saving any of the stock pipe so don't bother trying to undo rusted bolts. When you go for headers then plan for the entire system and don't go cheap on the gaskets. I suggest Percy's seal 4 good or Mr Gasket soft aluminum

you might as well get new bushings as well because NH roads and salt are tough on them.

The only thing I miss is Market Basket/Demoulas and using my boat on Lake Winnisquam which is an excellent lake for skiing and tubing (when it's not iced over). Other than that, I don't miss NH one bit. Too darn cold for my liking.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

Welcome aboard.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

And thanks for the pb tip with letting it sit overnight, never tried that but i will now. Luckily i will be able to do them at the shop I work at so i will have access to a torch for cutting. but ya NH has some brutal winters, i cant wait for the day i also move away.

Also what a recommended rear end setup for daily driving and highway use? thats something i may look into doing fairly soon, and should i replace just the gears or just swap out the rear end?