84 Z28 w/92 Corvette suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 11:52 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by soloc4
Since the entire drivetrain and suspension are aluminum, I’ve also removed over 400 lbs from the car. It should be fun! I’ve got body mods, paint, interior, etc....
For those reading along and do not know the 3rd gen is the lightest of the carmaros ever built. Curb weight right around 3200 lbs. So if he took off 400 lbs this is now a 2800 lb car. That is lighter then a lot of the 4/6 cylinder ricers out there. This is also about 700-800 lbs less then a 4th gen Camaro and right about 1000 lbs lighter then a V8 5th gen.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

When I ran this car in SCCA Solo SP4 (now called AutoCross) in the late 80’s it scaled at 3420 lb. with a half tank of fuel. I’m estimating the car to be around 3000 lb. along with a significant weight redistribution to the rear. Hopefully won’t be long until I can drive it.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:36 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
For those reading along and do not know the 3rd gen is the lightest of the carmaros ever built. Curb weight right around 3200 lbs. So if he took off 400 lbs this is now a 2800 lb car. That is lighter then a lot of the 4/6 cylinder ricers out there. This is also about 700-800 lbs less then a 4th gen Camaro and right about 1000 lbs lighter then a V8 5th gen.
Late 4th gen Z28/SS cars are a bit lighter with the aluminum block about 3400 for a stick shift car.
I read a page at LS1 Tech where a guy posted his weights after weighing his 2001 SS 6 speed T-top car (all stock) with an empty tank 3380lbs and a full tank 3471lbs.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet...ss-weight.html
Mine should be a bit lighter but I haven't weighed it yet, it's a 6 speed hardtop but has all tube suspension ,headers with an ORY and chambered exhaust which should shave a few pounds. At any rate not much more than a 3rd gen.
On this site for third gens most guys were around 3300lbs with their Z28s so that even narrows the gap a bit more.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...rb-weight.html

Old 03-26-2019, 10:02 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My numbers are based on GM curb weight. Cars will vary depending on options and slight design changes, but also keep in mind that is true for all three generation. Curb weight is also known as shipping weight, so for every under weight 4th gen there is an equally underweight 3rd 5th Gen.

He is also adding weight back on with the stainless dual exhaust and ABS system. Would be interesting to see the weight when he is done.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:16 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
My numbers are based on GM curb weight. Cars will vary depending on options and slight design changes, but also keep in mind that is true for all three generation. Curb weight is also known as shipping weight, so for every under weight 4th gen there is an equally underweight 3rd 5th Gen.

He is also adding weight back on with the stainless dual exhaust and ABS system. Would be interesting to see the weight when he is done.
Indeed!

Old 05-29-2019, 06:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Tail pipes finished, need to adjust the length and add the tips. Once that is done, it’s off to be ceramic coated.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:57 AM
4th Gear Member

Nice work brother,I hope I get a chance to see this car in person someday.
I'm just down south of you a couple hours,are you going to be at "The End of The World Run" this year?
---------> Home

Old 05-29-2019, 08:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Nice work brother,I hope I get a chance to see this car in person someday.
I'm just down south of you a couple hours,are you going to be at "The End of The World Run" this year?
---------> Home
Thank you, and I also hope to see this car finished someday. I am not familiar with the “End of the World Run”, but my goal is just to have this running by the end of summer. Are you around the Olympia or Centralia area?

Old 05-29-2019, 10:33 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by soloc4
Thank you, and I also hope to see this car finished someday. I am not familiar with the “End of the World Run”, but my goal is just to have this running by the end of summer. Are you around the Olympia or Centralia area?
Click the link I posted that says Home for info on the rod run,it's one of the biggest in the west and it's here in Washington at Long Beach.
I'm a little further South than Centrailia and up in the hills,I'm East of Woodland and North of Battle Ground.
I have acreage up in the woods near an old logging town called Yacolt,it's South of Mt.St.Helens and about an hour from Portland,Oregon.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Exhaust system is off to be ceramic coated. I will post more pictures when it comes back and some of the system installed.

Quick Reply: 84 Z28 w/92 Corvette suspension