82 camaro z28 cranks but wont start no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:15 AM

First thing first. As Camaro 69 said, HEI's don't use a resistor. Rewire back to stock. The MSD stuff is a drop in/plug and play replacement unless you've gone all out for their complete ignition system including the dizzy, which it doesn't sound like. Sounds like you got something connected wrong or possibly have a wrong pick-up coil or module. GM used a couple different ones that look interchangeable but they are not. Also check the dizzy for excess side play in the shaft. That's about all the ideas I got on available info given.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:11 AM
Exclamation

Resistor was removed prior to most recent problem.... was posted previously aswell :P
pickup coil has be tripple checked now once with the parts stores computers...once with the parts vendors...and a friend of mine over at the jeff wyler Chevrolet was able to verify it as well through their systems..thats not it....ignition module was also tested at the dealership at the same time...could very well be something connected wrong thats my suspicion anyways...

okay now would probably be a good time go over EVERYTHING i've done with this car since i got it maybe the devil is in the smaller details here..i'll start with whats been replaced.
Catalytic converter,engine upto valve covers...alternator,water pump,all seals/gaskets except the 1 that sits under the carb it looks 2 be in good condition,brake caliper's/pads/hardware,all hoses,,suspension both front and back including leaf springs,tachometer,radiator,battery,v belts,plugs,wires,dizzy cap,pickup coil,rotar button,,fuel tank,o2 sensor,all fuses,tires,both e-brake cables,tvv cable,thermastat,oil valley pan,,all lightbulbs,intake bolts,torque converter,flywheel,starter,battery cables,terminals,wheel bearings all inners and outters,all fluids,filters,fuel lines,sway bar,tie rods,

now whats been removed...smog pump,radio,smog belt,efe valve?? in exhaust @ y pipe ,brake booster line has been crimped and carb hole has been plugged this was done prior 2 engine failure but wasent capped till after engine failure.

just today i've had the entire ignition system tested out of the car over at the dealership aswell it is in good working order so i am told get to work on putting that back in over the next few days.

related but unrelated below

i need to get this out on the road so i need a solution or lead to a solution in the next 3 weeks or i'm gonna have no choice but 2 take it over to the dealership... very very uncool for my wallet...but my new job starts in 3 weeks n 5 days..and they could have it a few days if it goes that route.....boooooo...not even sure my wallet could pay for the bill immediately either grrr..know dealers topshelf parts + dealers cut price's and high priced labor...but i dont trust just anyone with this car thats why its been sitting as long as it has...not like there's many out there that will let ya keep a close eye on what they are doing..which is sooooo lame..i'm sorry i'm paying you 2 work on a potential weapon of mass destruction that i have a deep sentimental attachment 2 either i can hold you responsible or you dont touch my car and i for 1 feel alot better if i can see what you did..i know blue book is only like 6k..but i have more in parts only in that car then that since i got it less than 500 miles ago.$4600 purchase price 7 years ago,1500 in parts immediately after purchase 2400 in parts 3 years ago then about $5500 in parts over the last 6 months some dealership bills for retuning the computer/carb yada yada...thats over $14500 plus my own labor which even by the books has 2 be over 100 hours but its probably more like 400 not even counting the time spent learning that dont count so much tho as its good knowledge to have...a serious offer to me would be about $20,000.25 n i'd get a new rear end and transmission in there..double original sticker price in 1982 but not even 1/3 of the price of a new z28..i'm sure it handles just as good as a new one aswell...not as much power but thats an easy fix for a mechanic....right.......sure you usually dont get value of parts back...but think this is basically a new car all around.. a new 1982 z28 camaro with 82k original miles...paint almost as slick as the day it came off the showroom floor...and yes this was a showroom car sat on the main floor of bob mcdorman chevrolet when it was new and old car collector was the original owner i am the 2nd owner and it appears he had alot of work done aswell..transmission has been cracked open engine was cracked open...rear end has been cracked open they all have service marks on them and it is quiet apparent.dont ask for his records tho they where lost a long time ago....what i remember of them tho was a transmission rebuild,cv boots,regular maintenance dating back 2 purchase date new spider gears in the rear end,lighter weight driveshaft,and the recall service receipts