Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   82-92 Projects (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-projects-108/)
-   -   1991 rs (https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-projects-108/1991-rs-76978/)

91RSkdh 05-18-2014 07:30 PM

1991 rs

5 Attachment(s)
Just picked up this 91 RS for $300. Someone did a poor job at painting it yellow, wish they would have left it the original color, looks like a teal blue. I plan to get it painted back to that color when the time comes. The motor turns over and wants to start, but I don't think it is getting fuel. Gonna check out the fuel pump relay and fuel pump. I also plan to change the oil and flush the radiator and put new coolant in it.
IMG_0207.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg
Both front fenders, the hood and front end will have to be replaced. The rest of the body looks to be good.
IMG_0211.jpg
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG
And the interior will need some work, I was told that the gauges didn't work, but so far they seem to work. I am not sure of the speedo, since I haven't been able to start it or drive it yet. I also need to get a new drivers seat. Looks like the old one broke and someone moved the pass seat to the drivers side. The dash will also have to be replaced.

My first task is to get her running again, she sat for about a year or so. Then it is on to the interior, and last the body work. I think it is a pretty good car for $300.

Kenny

91RSkdh 05-18-2014 07:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the interior.
IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0213.jpg
IMG_0214.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG

91RSkdh 05-21-2014 05:51 PM

I got the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor and fuel filter changed out. After all that, I tried to crank her up and fired for about a second. I'm getting spark, but don't think I am getting fuel. I already checked out the fuel pump relay and fuse; both of those were good. I think it is time to check the pump, but I think it will have to be changed. It does not come on when I try to prime the lines. Not looking forward to dropping the fuel tank, but I will if I have to.

On a side note, I also ordered an oil pressure switch because my oil pressure gauge is maxed out as soon as I turn the key on. Plus I figure it should probably get changed any way.

So that's where it sits now, hopefully she'll be running by the end of the weekend.

91RSkdh 05-25-2014 08:54 PM

Just got done changing out the fuel pump. Dropping the gas tank is pain, but I got it done. Now she fires right up, but I did notice that it is idling high at 3,000 RPM. Guess I get to dig into the MPI and try to figure out what is causing that. Any help on that issue would be greatly appreciated. I also need to fix a transmission leak and change the oil in the rear end and change the O2 sensor since the wire going to it broke off. I still have quite a bit of work to do before I can get her on the road, but so far I have about $400 in it total and I have a Camaro that runs and drives.

91RSkdh 05-26-2014 10:04 PM

After doing some research on the net, I figured out that the car is not actually idling at 3K RPM, but that the tach is off. Also found a thread over on thirdgen.org that shows how to fix it as well. Guess I need to learn how to solder. Seems to be a very common problem for the 90-92 camaros. Here is a link to the thread if anyone needs it. 90-92 Tachometer fix.... - Page 2 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

I also fixed the high beam problem, I just need to adjust the switch on the steering column. And to fix my turn signal problem all I need to do is replace a bulb on the cluster (and I feel a little stupid for not noticing that the first time).

Next up is to try to get the horn wired up, the last owner replaced the steering wheel, but didn't hook up the horn. I'm not even sure if the wires are still there. I also need to take the drivers door apart and see what needs to be done to fix it so that it will open from the inside. After that, I'll try to locate a replacement hinge since the detent bushing pin is just plumb wore out along with all the other bushings.

Slowly but surely she is starting to come back to her former glory.

91RSkdh 06-04-2014 09:31 PM

Update, I found a 91 at the junk yard and pulled a seat and the steering wheel with an intact airbag. That pretty much fixed my horn problem.

I took her for a little test drive and she drives great, only one problem-the speedo does not work. I found a thread over on thirdgen.org for a fix and tried that (only cost me about $1.60 for some resistors) but that didn't work. I also tried the tach fix on that site, now my tach is pegged at redline as soon as I start it. I either need to find a cluster out of a 90-92 or get some aftermarket gauges. Sure wish the 91 at the yard still had the gauge cluster in it.

startt 06-24-2014 09:40 PM

I have a iroc-z cluster supposedly i could part ways with. Pm me if youre interested.

Camaro 69 06-25-2014 12:04 PM

Beginning in 1990, the speedometer is electric, not cable driven as was 1989 and older. And the tach is V6/V8 specific.
Btw, I was chasing the reading double issue with the tach when I had a 91, and bought another cluster. That didn't change the reading at all. Upon further investigating, I found that the ignition module inside the distributor can also be a contributing factor to the misreading tach. I would try the module first before replacing the cluster. As far as the speedo, I would first check make sure it's not the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the trans. I still have a 1991 gauge cluster leftover from when I had one, but my tach wouldn't do you any good, I had a 305 V8.

91RSkdh 06-26-2014 10:13 AM

At the moment, I'm not too concerned with the tach, I will tackle that once I can actually drive the car. As for the speedo, I have already changed the VSS and checked all the wiring from it to the speedo, I did find that the chip for the speedo looks like it has some burn marks on it. I plan to get another circuit board for the speedo and install that to see if that will fix it.

On another note, I have most of the body panels that needed replacement replaced. I got a good hood, fender, headlight mount panel and front bumper cover along with a really good headliner and console lid for about $100 total at a pick-n-pull by my Dad's house. I just need to replace a few of the GFX pieces and she'll be ready for the body shop to do their magic on it. I think I will have them paint it back to the original color, dark teal.

The interior is also almost complete now, I just need the lower dash panels for the driver side and the sun visors and a few clips to hold some panels on. I also plan to replace the center console since it has a few cracks in it.

My main issue ATM is that the engine surges while driving at low speeds. While looking for vacuum leaks I found that the EGR valve has a broken mount bolt, the EGR adaptor to the exhaust manifold has a broken bolt ( and I broke the other one trying to get it off) and both exhaust manifolds have 2 broken bolts each. I plan to pull the manifolds and replace all the hardware and gaskets. Hope to have it running reliably real soon. Then I can start to plan out the 350 that I would like to drop in it eventually.