Would an LS swap devalue my B4C RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Default Would an LS swap devalue my B4C RS

Hello everyone. I just signed up today so I could get some opinions on what to do with my B4C 5 speed 305 TPI. The car has been down for over 8 years since the original 305 finally gave up at 180k! I have the TPI nice and polished up, but i have to build or buy another motor and a reman t5 (with no core). I have parts connections and can get a complete LS1/LS4 swap with 6 speed trans for the same money. Its more work but the proformance would be worth it. Do youy think i will devalue the car due to the low productiuon number?

Old 05-10-2009, 02:39 PM
4th Gear Member

A old wore out police car, who cares what motor you put in it.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:09 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

yea, if anything the B4C package would make the car worth less because everyone knows how cops drive. i say go for the ls swap. Spohn makes a tubuler k-member kit for the bolt in of an LS-no custom fab needed

Old 05-17-2009, 11:40 AM

LS swap!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear member

i would think that an ls1 swap as long as its done correctly and completely would add value to a third gen. i would also think that people looking at buying a third gen would love to buy one with an ls1

Old 07-10-2009, 09:23 AM

Maybe a little late but I would recommend you put in what ever engine you like, but I would not get rid of the original engine. The B4C option is rare and as time goes on they may be worth something. Here is a perfect example. I bought 1969 Camaro SS Conv in 1986. Car was all original except for paint. I thrashed the original engine, for a 70 camaro eng, replaced the original muncie with an automatic, and destroye the 12 bolt and replaced it with an impala rear, yes impala(i know the difference) i did a lot of torch cutting , grinding and welding and it is 1 inch wider. So believe it or not I have had 5 other 69 camaros since. I still have this car. I originally bought the car from the second owner for $2500 with a new paint job. Today I could have big money if I did not throw out all of the rebuildable parts. I like original cars, so i always say dont cut what you cant replace and if you want to race buy a plain jane and build it. All my cars are original except for an 88 monte I am working on. Putting a BB and keeping the a/c. I bought the car already parted out and about to be crushed.

Last edited by indmachrep; 07-10-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: add info
Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 AM
4th Gear Member

A modded car (even with LS1) will only appeal to a small group of buyers + RPO B4C is also a turn off (wore out ex-police car). Remember it is a RPO option and not a car model.
With that said no matter how well the installation is ..you will never get the money back.
Most people want a unmolested car and not one that has been modded to hell & back..My Opinion.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 PM

I guess I feel different. In 69 x11 was only a style trim and COPO was like an RPO. It is true B4C means police car, but many did not go to police departments. You also have in the B4C family different options like power window or roll up. for 91 and 92 what did you have plane RS, Z28, 1le, b4C. to me for this generation 1LE AND b4c is like the COPO of 1969. I also believe that if everyone chops their car it would make the all original worth more. I would have never believed that in 1984 when i bought my 69 Camaro, it could be worth more than some houses in the USA. I also remeber parting out several SS Chevelle. Please save the engine. let someone like me restore it when your done. I have a friend with 69 vette 427 he bought the car in 72 and in 75 removed the motor for a 350. he saved the motor. He has gotten big offers for this car because he has the original engine.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

One thing to think about. Keep your B4C car orginal. Since its been sitting let it be. Pick up a 2.8 car with a blown head gasket. Around me they are giving them away. You can find one in nice shape for well under a 1K. You be keeping your car for a future restore and saving another camaro from being parted out and crushed. I would guess your going to have to upgrade just about everything anyway. If you decide you need to brace stuff up to handle all the power grab a welder and have at it. Then in a few year when you start to miss your old car. It will be there waiting for you. All ready to be put back as GM intended

Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 PM

The B4c Rpo code is hard to find I would be willing to drop some cash on one today if I could, worn out or not....do some of yall posters go on ebay, I was bidding on a 92 B4C with the 305 rebuilt and it topped out over 10,000. Thats a lot more then I could pay at the time. Now I have the money and can not find a gen 3 to buy I have been looking for a year. People please stop giving bad advice, your gonna screw someone over, yall are posting your opinions and not facts. I also own a 2002 B4C and yes its worth about 2,500 more then a z28 ask my bank! Also as a Police Officer we don't ware our cars out like people think we do..our oil is changed at 3,000 miles on the dot everytime, we inspect our cars everyday and we depend on them cause if we dont take care of them we don't come up on the new car list.

Quick Reply: Would an LS swap devalue my B4C RS