Is it worth it to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Is it worth it to fix?

I have a 92 RS with a 305, and i love it, i paid $2500 for it, well after a few months, i found out that it needs, front struts, centerlink, sway bar link kit, sway bar bushing kit, and front struts, along with 4 new tires, i was quoted $1200 with out the tires, now im 17, have very little money, and im not sure if i should fix it, or just sell it and get something else, i cant really part it out cause i cant have it sitting in my drive way for a couple of months, and i only have what i can get for it plus about a grand, so i dont have alot of money to play around with, what is the best option here?

Old 12-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Is it worth it to fix?

You could probably do that stuff yourself and save about 1/2 the money. Spend $20 on a repair manual & see if you think you can handle it. You won't be getting much for the car in its condition, unless you find a dupe to stickhim with it.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Overdrive Member

Thats all common wear and tear kinda stuff. Buy another used car and that stuff could be whooped on it. Check out www.summitracing.com or local parts stores. You can even price things out at www.autozone.com . Its all easy to do. Can be done at home.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

All those parts are relatively cheap & easy to replace yourself.

What's the car worth to you? It's probably going to need more work when you are done.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:59 AM
3rd Gear Member

Dont get bummed out dude. The suspension stuff only takes a basic tools, the tires can be done for less than 400 bucks at Poop Boys,but the new struts will require an alignment. Do the front end stuff (probably 200 bucks in parts) throw in the struts (another 50 -100) and send it to Poop Boys for tires and an alignment. This is a black hole of a hobby, its even tougher for a 17 yr old on a budget. We've all been there bro'. Now go enlist in the Army National Guard, get a 20,000 dollar sign on bonus, and rebuild the entire car.

Um, yeah, Im a National Guard Recruiter.......

Old 12-30-2006, 03:25 AM
Overdrive Member

Hell! I am 38 and on a budget.
Scottd
Will you take me even though I have heart failure, a mechanical valve and an Implantable Cardioverter Defribrilater? And does the 20Gs come up front in cash?

Old 12-30-2006, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

well what if i just replace the front sway bar with something like this?
http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...roducts_id=590

ive found a center link here to
http://www.p-s-t.com/cl.html#Chevrolet

anygood? should i do idler arms to?

if someone wants to link me to some site sponsors to then i wont mind

Old 12-30-2006, 01:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

Hey Mike, the doctors at the federal processing building only know what you tell them. Ill sign you up next week. Please dont mention the heart surgery, tell them the scar is from your cat. Bonus is payed 1/2 upon completion of training, 1/2 at 3 yr mark!

Old 12-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: ScottD

Hey Mike, the doctors at the federal processing building only know what you tell them. Ill sign you up next week. Please dont mention the heart surgery, tell them the scar is from your cat. Bonus is payed 1/2 upon completion of training, 1/2 at 3 yr mark!
LOL
That would be a big cat. And I am not sure I will be able to see the second half of the money as I may need to go in for a battery replacement by then.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:54 PM

well if you find a les swhad u can get the tires at a good price i paid $290 for all 4 of mine and got a good warranty. i would buy the repair book and look up the prices on parts and do it yourself.
nothing like getting the expierance of doing it yourself, i would also see if you had a couple friends willing to help you that have some mechanical knowledge.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it to fix?