won a TPI

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 08:08 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default won a TPI

im about to win a nearly complete TPI setup on ebay. everything aside from the fuel pump. My major thought, is the wireing harness. Its it ALL different over the TBI one that i have now? or is there a connector on the other side of the firewall with a universal type of connection going to the computer? You know what im askin here? Lemme try and explain it a bit clearer. Is there a connector from the current harness, than i can disconect, and then connect the NEW harness into without pulling the entire thing out of the car and replaceing it. Im sure im gona have to pull it all out, i was just tryin to save several hours worth of work.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:18 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: won a TPI

well, its officialy mine, i need some help up in hur

by the way, its off an 85 iroc so its setup for a 305. Ill need to change the injectors i know.

heres a link or whatever http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...B:EOIBSA:MT:11

Old 08-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Overdrive Member

The engine harness with go all the way to the computer in one piece. No plug in the middle. The part that goes through the firewall from inside the wheel well is just a plastic grommet type of thing.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 AM
March 2008 ROTM

gaaa, i was afraid of that..

Old 08-23-2007, 04:04 PM
March 2008 ROTM

any sensors i should pay attention to? found out it was takin off the car after only a few thousand miles, but it was 17 years ago... its just been sitting in storage ever since. So i would think everything would be fine, but time might have messed things up

Old 08-24-2007, 01:56 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I dont know a LOT about the tpi, but the best advice your gona get is dont even attempt the swap untill your an expert and learn everything you can about the TPI system. But my advice on making sure everything is good, all you need is to make sure nothing is physically damaged, and find the resistance specs for everything and goto town with the volt meter. esp usefull with the airflow sensor and TPS.also make sure you get a new distributor cap and rotor, all new plugs and wires, if the tpi even has a regular distributor, im pretty sure it does, unless im thinking of the lt1...if thats the one that has the distributor on the front of the motor? anyways, research as much as you can!!! and find someone to talk to who has done the swap

Old 08-24-2007, 03:14 PM
March 2008 ROTM

i dont know anybody who has done the swap. Between me and my father ( 30+ professional years of experiance) i should be fine. I JUST replaced the plugs not even a thousand miles ago, so those are fine. Unless the TPI wants a different gap for some reason, even then ill just pull them and regap them. Couldnt imagine why it would, but i dont know. Mine are gapped at 40 now, or 040 or whatever it is. Its gona be while before i do the swap. I want to put a 58mm throttle body on it, and im tryin decide if i want the highflow runners and intake manifold. As far as the distributor and all that, im thinkin about a hotter spark, not just an OE replacement. Any recomendations?

also, this thing has at least 350 horse, so i was thinkin like #30 injectors. is that to much? i dont think the 22 will be enough ( its got 19 in it) Ive found some 26 i believe, i think that would be more like what i want. But let me know what ya think on that whole topic. Like you Isphius, i dont know a lot about the TPI, but i know the basics, i believe i know enough to get it on and running well with the help of my dad.

Im gona find out the cam specs of this thing and everything else i can and have a chip custom made to help it run as best as it can. I know im not lookin at no Zo6 killer here, but i was puttin up a fight with the vettes, so i MIGHT be closer with this if i can manage to get it tuned right.

I noticed something looking at vacume diagrams last night, the evap cannister is on the passenger side in the 85, but in my 89, its on the drivers side, any problems with that? i wouldnt think so, but just in case..

im sure ill think of other questions, but thats all i have for now. thanks for any input yall have. This site is about to become my best friend. lol

Old 08-24-2007, 05:18 PM
4th Gear Member

350 HP TBI sure you do......[sm=bounceybounce.gif]and then a 400 HP TPI [sm=groupwave.gif]...........Lucky if it will run.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:23 PM
March 2008 ROTM

man you dont know jack about this engine, so back the F*** off. It will run just fine thank you very much. why is it that everytime you post, i know its some smartass remark or something rude? Grow up man..

for those of you willing to help. Still takin advise. lol

Old 08-24-2007, 07:35 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 350rs

man you dont know jack about this engine, so back the F*** off. It will run just fine thank you very much. why is it that everytime you post, i know its some smartass remark or something rude? Grow up man..

or those of you willing to help. Still takin advise. lol
"
What is "F*** off" I think the shoe is on the other foot.
After reading some of your asine Posts you don't know jack about anything smartass. Quoting your remarks.