why the heck wont my car run cooler?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 02:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: why the heck wont my car run cooler?!?!?!?

If your worried about this over heating problem, pull the radiator, take it to a shop, have them boil out the scale deposits in it, if it has plastic side tanks, have them removed, new seals installed. Get a new 190 degree stat and go with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze, this should test good for about -35 degrees below zero. You can also get a laser thermometer and point it at the thermostat housing and compare that reading with your temp gauge, this is accurate to about +/- 5 degrees. Another alternative is to hook in a Genesis scan tool or similar tool and watch the temperature on it, this is what the computer sees and most factual also. Get the fan to start running off the computer again also, this is set up for a reason as noted in prior mentioned posts.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

WTG Danzig!!! perfectly put, yeah my fan comes on right at 195 . i had a scanner plugged in to the puter and watched it climb, and also those thermal temp guns work damn good! use one at work everyday, in the asphalt industry. great post later.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The fan on my 2.8 litre I think comes on around 220 or so.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Tech Droid

ORIGINAL: 350rs

so is that too much antifreeze thing true? i was told that to muchmakes it to thick and it wont flow as effeciantly as it should.
Anti freeze by itself does not carry away heat as well as water, but has a higher boiling point. The 50/50 mix happens to be a happy medium.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: Danzig

If your worried about this over heating problem, pull the radiator, take it to a shop, have them boil out the scale deposits in it, if it has plastic side tanks, have them removed, new seals installed. Get a new 190 degree stat and go with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze, this should test good for about -35 degrees below zero. You can also get a laser thermometer and point it at the thermostat housing and compare that reading with your temp gauge, this is accurate to about +/- 5 degrees. Another alternative is to hook in a Genesis scan tool or similar tool and watch the temperature on it, this is what the computer sees and most factual also. Get the fan to start running off the computer again also, this is set up for a reason as noted in prior mentioned posts.
Did you not read his first post or any others?
He stated a new radiator. I never had to have scale boiled off a new radiator. It was also stated a new t stat and 50/50 mix. Wake up man!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i got my 85 iroc to run 120 - 180 heres how
160 thermastat
stock radiator
duel 2400 cfm fans set to run all the time

Old 06-10-2007, 07:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

ORIGINAL: Danzig

Did you not read his first post or any others?
He stated a new radiator. I never had to have scale boiled off a new radiator. It was also stated a new t stat and 50/50 mix. Wake up man!
I see its quite obvious here that thisforum contains people who have nothing better to do than criticize others, have a good day!!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:41 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

yea, its a brand new rad.

im thinking, arent the tpi engines supposed to have dual fans? mine just has a single fan right in the middle of the rad, and pulls over about half the rad. i know this car has some incorrect peices on it and i thought i got them all, maybe the fan was the last thing?

Old 06-10-2007, 07:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

do whar i posted above and it WILL run cooler

Old 06-10-2007, 07:55 PM
March 2008 ROTM

wait, why are you trying to get it to run THAT cold anyway?

Quick Reply: why the heck wont my car run cooler?!?!?!?