why the heck wont my car run cooler?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 07:29 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default why the heck wont my car run cooler?!?!?!?

everything cooling wise is new. new aluminum rad, 160* thermostat, autometer gauge, fan is on a switch and fun runs fine, coolant is 70/30 antifreeze/water, air dam and plastic peices are all intact, waterpump is new. she will run at 160* from a cold start until i slow down, and will then go to about 180-190, and ill turn the fan on. itll stay at that temp through town. however, once i leave and get back out on the highway, it wont go back down past 170-180. today was rather cool, and it wouldnt go lower than 190.

i do have a throttle body bypass, and the hose has a few spots that it could be restricting the flow. that is the only thing i can think of that is causing the problem. i am also certain that the gauge is in the correct spot, the one i removed factory was underneth the throttle body on the intake, and had a single wire, green i beleive it was.

are there any good places i can stick a gauge directly on the engine to see what the temp is?

Old 06-09-2007, 07:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: why the heck wont my car run cooler?!?!?!?

I am trying to remember but I do believe the coolant fan if hooked up correctly would start running once the engine gets to 228 degrees. What is wrong with 190 degrees?

Old 06-09-2007, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Those cars were set up to run at that temp! (for emissions) the hotter the cleaner, the computer knows what temp it needs to run at to make sure all systems function properly and sensors open at the right time, my 91rs 305tbi has a 195 t-stat and the fan comes on at an idle at around 195! but normal operating temp is around 220 and i have no reason to lower it she runs just fine at that temp. the computer will not allow you to change temp setting until you either re/prom it or pitch it.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:16 PM
March 2008 ROTM

the lower thermo is prolly hurting you in the long run, causeing it to be open more often, heating up the coolant faster. Maybe try more of a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. To much anti will make it run slower, not much, but enough i suppose. Thats just what i heard, i dont know it for a fact.

i have my temp sensor for my auto meter gauge on the dirvers side. id have to look again, but i think its on the head... may be the block. But its a direct port into the water there and gives a good reading, plus its easy to get to

Old 06-09-2007, 09:03 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

mine was in the center, either on the intake or on the block. but there was coolant that came out when i put it on. i dont know if i mentioned, but cruising at 70 in 70 degree weather, it was creeping up to 195 or so from 180. before i replaced the rad, about 80 degrees, it was around 215.

i also have the fan on a switch because the thing wouldnt kick on until 235.

what would a safe operating range be temp wise anyway? most peoples cars and trucks i see are between 180-210.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I m sure it,s on the block 350rs! tapped into the waterjacket, i have to applaud and approve of chit canning the electrical gauges, prefer the ol mechanical one, you know go to the source if you want the truth. i really think microkid, gonna have problems by messing with the operating temp, there designed to run that way, all the way thru the cat reburn and out the hole. any EPA agents around. [sm=icon_beat.gif]

Old 06-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: 350rs

the lower thermo is prolly hurting you in the long run, causeing it to be open more often, heating up the coolant faster. Maybe try more of a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. To much anti will make it run slower, not much, but enough i suppose. Thats just what i heard, i dont know it for a fact.

i have my temp sensor for my auto meter gauge on the dirvers side. id have to look again, but i think its on the head... may be the block. But its a direct port into the water there and gives a good reading, plus its easy to get to
What he said.
The low temp t stat opens and will never close to hold coolant in the radiator long enough to cool.
And I think the 70/30 mix would be for freezing conditions. 50/50 is good.
Finaly the sender is in the head. The only place on the block would be a plug right above the pan. The knock sensor is in there on the opposite side.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:46 AM
March 2008 ROTM

so is that too much antifreeze thing true? i was told that to muchmakes it to thick and it wont flow as effeciantly as it should.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:18 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

so you guys are telling me the cooler thermostat is making it run hotter? maybe im misunderstanding the job of the thermostat. where does it go when its closed, and where does it go when its open?

Old 06-10-2007, 10:53 AM
March 2008 ROTM

well, runninga low temp thermostat just makes it open earlier. it dosnt leave its spot. It just opens a "door" we will call it and allows the water to flow. But keeping it flowing longer will make it heat up faster. Its exposed to the heat more often. Where as the 195 thermostat opens up, cools things off, then closes back up allowing the water to cool a little so it can cool the engine better.

Have you tried an additive? There are plenty of them out there that claim to help keep the water cooler somehow. ive never tried them though, so i cant tell you from experience how well they do or do not work.

Quick Reply: why the heck wont my car run cooler?!?!?!?