Why do they try and race us?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:00 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default Why do they try and race us?

The other day Im at a light and some kid (Sorry to those of you in the 18-25 year old demographic) pills up next to me in a mid 90's VW golf. I knew he was gonna get froggy but I wasnt paying attention. The light went green and he jumped about a car ahead before I even saw the light. So, I romped on it and rolled by him, I shook my head and gave him a "What were you thinking" look.......

The other day on the highway some punk in a old Honda Acorn with three passengers starts weaving thru traffic to catch me.....same game, Id goose it and pull a few hundred yards out, he would come screaming up on me, Id wait till he get to my tail and Id punch it again.......

Now this takes the cake....Im at our local 'cruising strip' the other day and a kid in a mini van jumps the light and starts playing with me. A mini van?! Cmon.....what is wrong with these people?

A good friend of mine has a Z06 Corvette....she says kids in Neons try to race her all the time....

I just dont understand. Like bringing a knife to a gunfight, your gonna loose.....

Old 05-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Why do they try and race us?

They all know they are going to lose. You are just doing exactly what they want by racing them.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I can honestly say I've never had any of these so called "punks" (no offense to any youngsters on here) try to race me. It might be because I just don't pay attention enough to even notice them. Or I just look to old to them that they think I might know their parents

Last year I was looking to get an "economy" car as I was working in FL and coming home to MS about once a month. Being a Chevy guy I thought my only option was a Cobalt (never owned a four door in my life). Figured if I was going to get a Cobalt I'd get an SS/SC to match the Camaro SS. I sat in the thing and didn't like it one bit. The thought of punk ricers always wanting to run me didn't appeal to me, either. Little did I know that a V6 Monte Carlo was capable of 31 mpgs! A year later and I love the Monte, particularly with gas prices. The Camaro spends most of its time sitting in the garage now, though.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:38 PM
March 2008 ROTM

ouch... ill roll up on you and see if you want to race..

Old 05-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

They all know they are going to lose. You are just doing exactly what they want by racing them.
I disagree. theres a good number of kids ([:@]im 22) that have never experienced what I call "torque" and think their little econoboxes are actually fast. If you have never rode shotgun in a fast car its hard to comprehend the actual performance difference (I once told my dad my carolla could hang with his bmw 328i, long ago.... [&:])

However, I have had the opposite happen too. people just being stupid, or trying to get me to go just to see me do a burnout or something like that. I had some kids in a stock el camino rev at me and try to race, and the way the pass was staring at my car im pretty sure they knew what was up.I also had a car full of 16 year olds ride up next to me and the passengers telling the driver "race him! race him!"

Old 05-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

"VTEC... SH** THAT'S FAST!"

:V

Honestly I get that idea myself- after putting the Camaro in storage for last winter I was driving a 140hp '86 Taurus. It was decently fast but after 4 months of that I was completely blown away by the power difference between the two. >.>

We've all left Corollas and Neons in our wakes- to me it's funny to put them in their place :V

Old 05-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

However, I have had the opposite happen too. people just being stupid, or trying to get me to go just to see me do a burnout or something like that. I had some kids in a stock el camino rev at me and try to race, and the way the pass was staring at my car im pretty sure they knew what was up.I also had a car full of 16 year olds ride up next to me and the passengers telling the driver "race him! race him!"
You disagree and yet that is exactly the point I was making.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:43 AM
2nd Gear member

i havent had this problem, but i want some idiot to try and race me and ill show him a 350 instead of a 305 would walk him faster.