Where can I get body work/bondo advice??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:31 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Where can I get body work/bondo advice??

My 82 'Maro is in need of a little TLC in the way of body work. Nothing major, a few spots of rust on the fenders and such. Id really like to do as much of the bodywork as I possibly can. Is there a decent website or book out there that covers this kind of stuff? (Ive always been pretty crappy with Bondo, so I usually just stick to turning wrenches. ) I couldnt find "auto bodywork for Dummies" online!

Old 10-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Where can I get body work/bondo advice??

What do you need to know?
I have been doing it since 1985 and do it better and faster than guys that have been doing it since I was born. So I will ask those guys and see what kind of advice they have for you.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

Just little things, technique, application methods. Like I said, I only tried my hand at bodywork SEVERAL years ago, the results looked like a poor sheetrock patchup job. What are the basic tools Ill need? WIll a palm sander suffice?

What should I use on my hood (Bondo or fiberglass) -The hood is the 'composite' material that resembles fiberglass. (IM putting scoops over the old crossfire cutouts and need to fill in the last 2 inches that the scoop doesnt cover towards the front end)

Whats the best way to really eat away at some old rust? Ive got some spots that are about silver dollar size. I plan on going at them with a wire brush, bondo, glazing putty, etc....Unfortunatly I dont have access to an air compressor right now, so sand blasters and pneumatic tools are out of the question.

Sorry about all the questions. I bid on a DVD last night on Ebay, some self proclaimed guru teaches you 'everything you need to know' kind of thing. But, seeing how Im starting from basics, even the instructions on a can of Bondo might help!

Old 10-27-2006, 01:27 AM
Overdrive Member

Whoops, sorry if I left ya hanging.
I could tell you so much I don't know where to start.
If you look in a haynes or chiltons manual nad see the body repair section in them....Tear them out and burn them.
Don't use Bondo Brand filler. Its crap. Go to a paint store and get some by Evercoat or 3M. Even the Dynalite which is made by the Bondo corp. is better than the stuff that says "BONDO" on the can.
Don't try to finish your filler repair with fine paper. Start off with 40 grit to get the shape and flat then knock down the 40 grit scratches with 80 grit. The primer will fill those.
Feather the paint chips and scrathes (specialy the ones from the 40 and 80 grit) realy well. 180 grit. The edges need to look soft. No sharp lines in the paint or primer.
Use a rag in your hand when feeling the repair, dents, feather edges ect. It keeps the skin from interfering with what you feel.
Use a rigid block for you filler sanding. The bigger, the better. soft block will conform to the dents. Look at the block surface and make sure its straight.
There is a strip pad that you can find at home depot and other stores that looks like black pubic hair. They come with an arbor atached so you can put it in a drill. These will strip the rust well and get into any pits.
Then treat it with an acid prep or I never used but heard naval jelly.

Hope this helps ya get started.