Wheel Wobbling

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Default Wheel Wobbling

Hey guys I am new to the forum. I just got a 1983 Z28 today and the right front wheel wobbles really bad when you drive it. The guy said the wheel bearing was going out, I was just wondering if there was any other trouble areas I may want to check out while I have it apart. I am gonna look over everything just wondering if there was anything I needed to pay really close attention to. Thanks

Old 03-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

With a wheel bearing that bad, other stuff on the front end could be badly worn. Check your lower ball joints, tie rod ends, and the rest of the steering components.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Lift the wheel off the ground. Hold your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock on the tire. Push/Pull on the wheel so it rocks back and forth. That is for wheel bearing check.

Say, if you checked the wheel bearing at 9 and 3 o'clock, you might miss this for a loose tie rod end. So say we are back to the 12/6 feel for bearing wear. If that one side is bad, the other is on the way out too. So this is you do it all at once and not when it seized on the steering knuckle and ruins the taper on the bearing shaft.

Then, take a huge tip of a screwdriver or a crow bar, and you want to move the ball joints at the upper and lower A-arms, so as not to bust a rubber boot lifting the ball joint up and away from the A-arm. If it moves, change out all the bearings and ball joints.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:54 AM

Thanks guys, I am gonna take it to my father in laws hopefully today and get it on the life to check it all out. It has an oil leak too so I will have to find it and stop it.