Whats the trick to installing leak free freeze plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 11:31 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Whats the trick to installing leak free freeze plugs?

OMG, IM gonna snap!

SO during my stripped started bolt debacle (see prior post) I tried to replace a leaking freeze plug. I pulled the old one, hammered in the new one, filled the block back up again.....drip drip drip...........from the plug. I bashed the new plug out and inspected the hole, there doesent seem to be any defects. What the hell is the secret to installing these plugs to make them leak free? Silicone? Epoxy? Lava? Somebody please help before I turn this car into a very expensive target.........

Old 04-13-2007, 11:33 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Whats the trick to installing leak free freeze plugs?

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Old 04-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Tech Droid

You install new ones by cleaning the holes carefully to scrape off all the old remains and rust, then put a skin coat of RTV sealant on the outer sealing surface of the new plug, and drive it into the block (NOT TOO FAR!) with a socket and breaker bar that fits well so you can tap on the end of the handle to drive it in squarely until it fits like the original. The socket needs to fit squarely into the cup of the plug. You don't want to hit the edges of the plug. I prefer brass plugs as they conform better and last longer than steel plugs. Add some stop leak to the radiator as insurance.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:14 AM
May 2007 ROTM

I just did mine the way z28pete said.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Overdrive Member

Use BOOOOGERS!
and if none are availible the rtv works well. Did you use the right size plug? Was it hard to get in?

Old 04-14-2007, 09:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

No Mike, I had to hold it in place with duct tape.....[8D]

Seriously, I think I mashed the edges a little when I tapped it in place. Im gonna try again tonight. Clean the hole with some sandpaper. A little RTV around the edges and pound her home with a socket....if it still leaks Im gong to attach a shaped demolitions charge to the gas tank...........

Old 04-14-2007, 01:41 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

no no no, I will take the car off your hands. No need to destroy it. Use some 'stop leak' or 'bars leak' in the radiator. It will take a few for the stuff to start working, let it run for a while, it will leak then as the substance start to do its thing the leak will end. Patience my man patience.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ive never been a fan of bottled stop leak products. All they do is fill your system with sludge. However, if this thing doesnt stop leaking, I might just convert it to an air cooled engine! (for about 10 minutes.....)

Old 04-14-2007, 02:03 PM
May 2007 ROTM

If youdented the edges of the old plug in any way use a new plug, also if you did not seat it with a socket the last time you may have warped it, time for a new plug.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:44 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

ORIGINAL: ScottD

Ive never been a fan of bottled stop leak products. All they do is fill your system with sludge. However, if this thing doesnt stop leaking, I might just convert it to an air cooled engine! (for about 10 minutes.....)

Woah.... there is nothing wrong with air cooled engines. Besides, they are a charm to work on. except the corvair, but we dont mention those here

Quick Reply: Whats the trick to installing leak free freeze plugs?