What to offer? NJ info needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default What to offer? NJ info needed

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1845711218.html

I am looking for a project to do for my daughter.
I emailed the guy about the title here is what I got

yes I have the title

and yes it was totalled by the insureance company but it is not a reconditioned title because the car is older than 15 years old and in NJ they don't give reconditioned title for cars of that age because of total loss accidents

the car runs great and is drive able but I wouldn't drive it far because it does have a cracked rim

the insureance totalled the car because of the cost to replace the quarter panel and door plus paint was quite a bit

but it is repairable
My questions are
What should I offer
Has anyone delt with title transfer from NJ to PA. Is what he telling me true about the NJ Title?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

1. That car is over priced for what it is. While the 91-92 are more desirable with the Aero gfx and the 5.7, with a smashed quarter I couldnt see this guy getting more than 8-900 dollars.

2. From what I understand the car will then have a Salvage title

Old 07-18-2010, 09:45 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Even being garage kept with 49K on it? I have been looking at 2nd gens in the 800-1400 range and most of what I am seeing needs a complete restoration. If I can get a car that just needs a door skin front quater section it seem worth the extra money.

The salvage reconstruction process here in PA is a real Pain. I will pass it up if its salvage. I know here in PA total= salvage no matter what year. I thought the insurance companies did that to cover there own butts. The last thing insurace companies want is unsafe cars on the road.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Here's how it works in IL. If your car gets "totalled" by the insurance company, you can keep the car and the insurance company will essentially "sell" it back to you (what they value it as salvage taken off the insurance payout). With the damage on the right side, it's easy to see why it was totaled. Body shop repair costs for that would be more than the car is worth "on the books". But, if you keep the car, the insurance company NEVER takes possession of the title, because they never technically took possession of the car. The car still stays in your name. There is NO "salvage" branding on the title (since you still have it). A buddy of mine went through this same thing. The insurance company paid off the claim on the car. He kept it (paying the salvage value), and fixed it on his own (actually I fixed most of it for him). And ironically, the same insurance company STILL insures the car now. He really made out on that deal. He wasn't even required to have the car inspected afterward, but I'm sure some states probably would.
Oh yeah, to your main question, $2,500 is a bit too much.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-18-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:04 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i know a regular title transfer from nj to pa is no big deal. just make sure each party has 3 proofs of id just to be sure. i did it with a motorcycle and didnt have any issues. even with the damage, i would offer about $1000 because its going to be another $1000 to fix it

Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

He has not gotten back to me. I am trying to set up an apointment to see it. The value thing is a little confussing to me. This car garage kept with 50K not wrecked is worth what? 5K? The L98 motor/trans with 60K are selling for like $1800, If he can sell just the drive train for $1800 why on earth would he sell me the whole car for $1000?

This is one from Fbodys, I realize its from a vett but they sell the Camaro ones for the same price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-Co...Q5fAccessories

Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Because value works two different ways. If you were buying the car just for parts, you wouldn't mind paying a little more to get parts that you wanted. Besides, a lot of cars are worth more in parts than whole (just ask any chop-shop owner).
Take that same car, but now you want to fix it back up to be a nice driver. Let's say you get it for $2k. If you can do a lot of repair work yourself, you're golden. But, a lot of people can't diy, so someone else would have to pay a body shop to fix it. Install a new rear quarter, and right side door, then squirt paint on the whole right side of the car to color match it. I also see a mis-fit with the rear tire and fender opening, making me think that either the axle and/or housing is bent, or a trailing arm, or both. Worse case scenario, that could easily be a $3k can of worms to fix it (and that guesstimate might be low once any other hidden damages crop up). So, it it worth it if you can find one for $5k that's just as nice that hasn't been smacked? I've seen them from time to time, but I don't hold my breath between each one.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:59 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I realize there is a reason it was totaled. Repair cost > finish cars value. This guy is aware of that also but I will be biding againt guys that want to part it out. Assuming its mostly cosmedic damage I have no problem with doing all the work, even the paint. The fact the rim is cracked does not scar me too much, I have replaced several cracked alumi rims from curb hits with no damages to the axel housing. I should be able to tell if there is an issue with a test drive. For me this car is a lot less work then most of the 90-91's I have been looking at.
I just wish he would email me back he is either not in a rush or the car is already gone.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-21-2010 at 05:01 AM.