What model of 3rd gen is this :S

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Default RE: What model of 3rd gen is this :S

ORIGINAL: Gorn

you could through a few hundred more in the pot and get something like this

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/947451849.html
Merry christmas everyone

And to come across a car like that in Ontario, i'd say 4-5,000. That is an awesome deal!

When do you think the best time to buy a camaro is? I always thought fall/winter because people want to get rid of them. But spring/summer is when people take them out of storage so would there be more forsale?

Old 12-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Fall/Winter is a good time. If you can find someone that needs money and few people are looking you can find a good deal. Seems like project cars do OK in the fall but the price falls off forthe drivers. Sorry I did not realize you are from the Great White North. Its been noted a few times on this site that there is a pretty big price change the farther North you get. You going to have to look locally for prices. Depending on the quality of the swap that is a $1200 to $1800 around here. Most people that put together a car like that like to do it themselfs. I call it theNOS effect. I would love to have a 75 shot ofNOS in my 96 but I would never buy a car with a nitrous system already installed

Merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2008, 12:10 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gorn

also, see if it a th350 or a th350C....the th350 DOES NOT have overdrive. If you wanna check, just drive it up to highway speed. You should feel the 4th gear kick in. You will only really notice this at highway speeds.
There is a TH350 with a 4 speeds? I rebuilt a lot of 350's back in the day I never saw one of those.The th350design was converted to a 4 speed but they called it a 700R4.
I thought the TH350 was a 3 speed and the th350C had the lockuptorqur converter thingy, making it a 4 speed. Isnt the th350C a 4 speed? I just may learn something here.......

Old 12-25-2008, 12:36 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

As a general rule a automatic 4 speed has an over drive. That means for every one rev of the motor the is more then one rev of the drive shaft.. If I remember right 1:1.24 is a common final drive. So a 700R4 is a 4 speed trans with a TCC or a torgue converter clutch.

The final drive of a three speed trannies is 1 to 1 but because a torque converter is not ahard link you may end up with a 1:.96 ratio. The torque converter clutch lock the twohalfs of the convertertogether to insure a 1:1 ratio. You can feel the TCC like in and out almost like a gear but this varies from car to car. Some cars you barley feel it at all.You can see a small increase in fuel milage with a TCC and many hot rodders hook them up to a switch.

It is incorrect to say its ath350 4speed. because if you follow that logic then the 700R4 is a 5 speed.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: ScottD
I thought the TH350 was a 3 speed and the th350C had the lockuptorqur converter thingy, making it a 4 speed. Isnt the th350C a 4 speed? I just may learn something here.......
Locking up the torque converter doesn't add a gear. It just takes away the internal "slight slip" that naturally occurs with any non-locking converter. So a 350C is still a 3-speed.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:19 PM

Thanks alot everyone! I'm learning so much from this site.

I came across this. How do you think this sounds? He wants 4000 but I could probably get him down some.

Selling a 1985 T-Top Z28 Camaro. 350 engine rebuilt with 350hp, Edelbrock Carb, Accel Iginition coil and wires, Hooker Headers and Mandrel bent Crossover pipe, original exhuast the rest of the way back. Rebuilt 700R4 transmission with mild shift kit 1000kms ago. All new brakes rotors and drums. 141000kms on the car. Driver side floor pan changed. One spot over the left rear that needs to redone from previous owner repair and nose damaged a little, which the Bra covers. Spray bombed Fiber glass hood.Interior is 90% finished I have the top piece for the interior but it would need to be reupholstered, dash pad is mint. Most window and door seals have been changed. I have more than $4000 into this carand I really don't want to go any lower. This car will pass a safety, if I get close to the asking I would safety it.[/align][/align]Front/left side : http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...an/15ea_20.jpg[/align]rear/ right side: http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...n/15ea_207.jpg[/align]interior: http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...an/1656_20.jpg[/align]engine: http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...an/1b19_20.jpg[/align]
[/align]

Old 12-26-2008, 11:57 AM
3rd Gear Member

4 Grand for a car with nose damage, rust damage (floor pan replacement) and 141,000 KM's on it?

No F'ing way.

Im usualy the guy on this site who says "rust free cars bring a premium up north" but unless that thing is a BEAUTY in person and runs PERFECTLY, I wouldnt pay that much.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:17 PM

I talked to the guy and he said the nose is actually fine, just a small bit of paint is missing. I've sent a request for pictures of the underside (before I drive 2 hours to be disapointed). And 144K is too bad is it? All the camaros i've looked at were 150K+

Anyone else have opinions on this add? Much appresiated if you do

Old 12-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

yamban, where are you located?

Old 12-26-2008, 04:00 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

And to come across a car like that in Ontario, i'd say 4-5,000. That is an awesome deal!
Like I said before all bets are off when it comes to prices in Canada. Remember we are talking different money, Although the last time I looked Canada's dollar was about even with ours that does not mean the prices on used stuff has evened out. Yamban, unless things have changed your dollars are pretty strong down here. I have no clue what it costs to bring a car across the boarder but it might be worth a road trip. You could Fly down to Texas pick up that craigs list post from above and roadback in less then a week for about a grand or so. A few years back a friend of mine did that cross country and got a great deal on a huge motor home.

Quick Reply: What model of 3rd gen is this :S