What model of 3rd gen is this :S

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Default What model of 3rd gen is this :S

Hello!

I saw an add for a camaro which interested me.

1986 Camaro
350 ci Engine
T350 Transmission with shift kit
Headers
New exhaust
New tires all around
T-tops
Holley Carburetor
Rust free underside
Body needs paint
White with red interior
SOLID CAR
Turn Key and Go....

2700.00 OBO

http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?i...461k220zg8.jpg

Now since this is an 86' why does it have a 350? The L98 was only in production from 1987-1992. There are no z28/iroc badges from the picture so someone must have done an engine swap. What kind of camaro is this originally? RS? If so, what are some things to look out for if I were to inspect this vehicle. I know the z28 and Iroc had stronger parts for the stronger motors. So if you were to drop a 350 in an RS, wouldn't something break overtime? I hope I got through!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What model of 3rd gen is this :S

You should ask him for the VIN # and decode it. Chances are you will have problems with a car like that...I learned from experience.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

If I had a dollar for every guy who THOUGH he was buying a 350 and wound up with a 305......Id ask for proof. Not saying hes a liar, but there are lots of them out there....

The transmission is also not stock (its been replaced) and will give you minor headaches with issues like kickdown cable brackets and torque arm mounts. (wrestled with mine tonight......) also, see if it a th350 or a th350C....the th350 DOES NOT have overdrive. If you wanna check, just drive it up to highway speed. You should feel the 4th gear kick in. You will only really notice this at highway speeds.

I dont know how prices are by you, but up here in upstate NY a rust free car demands a premium. If you live in a rusty state, then I feel the price is right IF all the guy is honest about the motor. If its not really a 350, who knows what else hes lying about.

Good luck.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:57 PM
March 2008 ROTM

scotts right. unless he has papers to say its a 350, dont just take his word for it. its nearly impossible to tell unless you can look at the back of the block just above the bell houseing. but good luck. its tight getting back there. if you somehow can though, look for a 5.7 or a 5.0 on the block. its cast into the block itself on later model blocks. ( how many times can you say block in 5 seconds!?!?, lol) if it needs paint, its already not worth what hes asking though. paint isnt cheep my friend.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:42 AM

So theres not really a way to tell the 305 from the 350 without looking on the back? Here's a picture of the engine anyways

I got an email back from him and he said " It originally came with a v6. The car runs well it has a mild cam in it though. "

Is that a bad thing? Sorry or all the questions i'm stillpretty new to the camaro scene.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

Its orange. Its gotta be a 350. All kidding aside, at least he told you the motor isnt original. Just ask him about the tranny as well. Trust your gut on this one. First impressions are often the most accurate. Is he looking to 'bargain' or is he pretty solid on his price? When people are willing to haggle and keep throwing you lower prices, its probably because they want to get rid of the car. If, on the other hand, hes 'matter of fact' about it, you can put a little more trust in him.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:50 PM
March 2008 ROTM

a mild cam isnt a bad thing at all. what you need to do is have him start it up and listen to it run for awhile. watch the temps, listen for out of the ordinary sounds. and keep your sniffer goin for any strange smells.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What you have there is a classic hot rod with all the trimmings. Not a Chip Foose hot but a car that had little value built into something the owner wanted. These cars can come with a fair amount of headachs. If you are looking to get into a hobby it could be a great deal. If you are looking for transportation look else where. Just remember when you buy a car like this youhave to trust the guy that built it. I have seen some pretty dumb stuff done to car like this either due to a lack of skill/knowledge or a lack of money.

also, see if it a th350 or a th350C....the th350 DOES NOT have overdrive. If you wanna check, just drive it up to highway speed. You should feel the 4th gear kick in. You will only really notice this at highway speeds.
There is a TH350 with a 4 speeds? I rebuilt a lot of 350's back in the day I never saw one of those.The th350design was converted to a 4 speed but they called it a 700R4.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

damn, t tops even...i wouldnt pay almost 3gs for that thing...for that money you could get a sweet *** iroc over here...dtown (denver)

Old 12-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you could through a few hundred more in the pot and get something like this

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/947451849.html

Quick Reply: What model of 3rd gen is this :S