What to look for in a third gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010 | 09:56 PM
|
Default What to look for in a third gen

Hey everyone,

I just joined the forum and I'm looking for some advice as to what to look for in a third generation. I've done some research on thirdgen.org and I think I have a decent idea of what I want but I'm still looking for some validation from you guys. My main requirements are that the camaro has to be 5 spd, a v8, and fuel injected. So, if I've researched correctly, an ideal one would be 87-92 z28 or iroc with the 305 correct? I've read here and there that the TBI sucks compared to the TPI, which rules out the RS. However, I'm having a really tough time finding any manual z28s or irocs.

Eventually, I plan on restoring the entire car and swapping in an LS1 but that won't be for 5 years or so. So, one question I have is: Are there any other big differences besides the TBI/TPI issue between the RS and higher models? In other words, if I plan on replacing the engine anyway, should I just save my money and find a clean RS or am I missing some other key factory goodies (gear ratio, sweet irocz decals, hood louvers etc)?

Another question I have is: Where is the best place to find these? I've looked on sites like autotrader, cars.com, craigslist and there aren't as many results as I'd like. I realize that this car is getting pretty old now but is there any other website that I should be looking at? Currently I'm living near Burlington, VT but I willing to travel a ways if I can find the right one.

I appreciate any advice...

-Kevin

Old 07-27-2010 | 01:35 AM

Hey, there. I have a 91 Camaro RS+ (RSS) with a 305 V8. Mine's an automatic but you can find them in manual. It's a great car. It puts out about 230 horse at 4400 rpm and 300 ft-lbs torque at 3200 rpm. I would check on craigslist. I've been looking for a new project car and I've seen a lot of 5 speed Z28's out there. You can find them with 245 horse and 345 torque stock.

Old 07-27-2010 | 06:27 AM
|

I have never heard of an RSS but 230 horse sounds great to me! I have a friend with an automatic 305 RS and he said it's not that powerful, so I guess that was sort of in the back of my mind as a strike against the RS.

Aside from that though, the question still stands. Is the regular, plain jane, readily available RS more suitable for what I'm planning to do with this? Obviously I would still try to find a clean z28 instead....but if I can't

Old 07-27-2010 | 08:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I've read in 87 the Iroc can only come with the 350 with auto trans. They didn't make them in manual for that year. I got that from thirdgen.org

Not sure about other years

Old 07-27-2010 | 04:18 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The RS is nothing more than a grocery getter. There's many differences between a Z28 and an RS, including engines, interior trim, ground effects, wheels, springs, sway bars, etc. Most (but not all) Z28's will come with rear discs and LSD.

Wait it out until you find the right car. It took me a year.

Old 07-27-2010 | 05:21 PM
|

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
The RS is nothing more than a grocery getter. There's many differences between a Z28 and an RS, including engines, interior trim, ground effects, wheels, springs, sway bars, etc. Most (but not all) Z28's will come with rear discs and LSD.

Wait it out until you find the right car. It took me a year.
Thank you. That answers my question. Although I'm not sure I like the idea of waiting so long haha.

I have a Jeep Wrangler Sport right now and I wished I asked these kinds of questions before I bought it. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a Rubicon from the beginning (comes with better transfer case, suspension, stronger axles, lockers, rear discs) because now I have to buy all of it separately for ton more $.

Fortunately, this list doesn't scare me as much though since the engine, wheels, springs, brakes, and sway bars will eventually get replaced anyway. It's the ground effects and the LSD that sound like they're gonna cost me some money if I decide to buy an RS and put them on later.

Old 07-29-2010 | 12:02 AM

i just bought a 84 5 speed t-top and its a 4brrl but the guy i bought it off of said its a 305 HO and it hauls more than the 350 that year, i dont know if he was just lying to get a quicker sale but it does have some pep for a 305?

Old 07-29-2010 | 12:13 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Levi61092
Hey, there. I have a 91 Camaro RS+ (RSS) with a 305 V8.
That's a pretty rare model. As a matter of fact, I also used to have a 91 RS+.
If you don't believe that, then take a good look at my rear emblem.

Name:  RS_Emblem.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  8.9 KB

Old 07-29-2010 | 12:17 AM

did they make those rs+ in 91 only?

Old 07-29-2010 | 12:20 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
did they make those rs+ in 91 only?
Oh...oh...now I'm rolling on the floor. lmao
That + is the Chevy Bowtie emblem.