What A Drag !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 01:18 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default What A Drag !!!

Well For Those Interested I Took My Iroc To The Drag Strip Today. A First For Me And The Car. When I Got There I Was Doing Some Trial Runs Un The Unused Portion Of The Strip. The Car Was Shaking Bad At About 80 MPH. Since I Had The Tires Balanced I Ruled That Out And Thought Maybe It Was Out Of Line. I Worked For A Few Hours Adjusting Tie Rods. Couldn't Stop The Shaking. There Was Some Slack In The Steering Box, So I Adjusted That Out The Shaking Got Worse. Discovered Slack In The Ball Joints And Figured That Was The Problem. Changed The Ball Joints Shaking Got Worse. Everything I Did Made It Worse. So I Decided That Even Tho There Was No Visual Damage To The Tires It Had To Be The Problem So I Switched Front To Rear. While In The Process A Tire Guy From The Strip Happen To Be Walking By An Took A Look. What I Couldn't See He Saw. Told Me My Tread Was Seperating And Sure Enough The Shaking Moved To The Rear Of The Car. But It Wasn't Near As Bad So I Said What The Heck, I've Done All This Work For Nothing ( Not To Mention In The Heat And On Asphalt ) I May As Well Try And Make a Run. Took My Car To The Inspector ... Bad News ... Rubber fuel Lines Too Close To The Pulleys And Stuff. So I Rerouted My Fuel Lines And Got The Thumbs Up. So I Staged And Made My First Run. Spun The Whole Quarter Mile. Could Not Make It Hook Up For Nothing. So I Went And Lowered My Tire Pressure 10 Pounds. Didn't Push So Hard Til I Got It Rolling. Hooked Up And Was Making A Pretty Good Run And Burning Wire Smoke Filled The Car I Rolled The Last Half Of The Quarter . My Wires Had Worked Their Way On To The Headers. Burned Through The Hot Wire And Roasted Them All. So, Needless To say It Wasn't A Great Day. But, I Had Plenty Of Sympathic Racers Share Their First Time horror Storys So I Felt Better. Loaded My Burnt Wire Smelling Iroc On It's Trailor And Went Home To Nurse My Wounds. All And All It Was Still A Good Day. Got A Lot Of Help With What I Need To do To Get everything Dialed In. Got A Acouple Weeks work to Get Everything Back In Order Then I'm Gonna Give It Another Try. Hopefully It Will Be A Better Day. Sick

Old 04-23-2006, 02:43 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: What A Drag !!!

Too bad you couldn't get a good run in, but your engine seems to have good potential. Go easy lowering tire pressure as you don't want to have the rims spin inside of the tires and wind up with a flat at high speed. I don't know what size tires you are running but it seems you need more rubber in the rear, and if this is race only car you may want to run a spool.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:36 AM
3rd Gear Member

The Body Came With 14" Rims. I Got Some 15" I Can Replace Them With Then I'm Gonna Look At Some Tires. Rubber Is Definately High On My List. One Question, What Excactly Is A Spool And How Does It Work? I Know It Has Something To Do With The Rearend But Thats About It. Sick

Old 04-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Tech Droid

The spool replaces the differential and locks up both axles together as a single unit. Not good for a street driven car, but is the way to get a perfect axle lock up on the strip. You still keep the same ring & pinion gears. The other thing that happens, is that the right rear wheel gets unloaded under hard acceleration as the axle tries to twist up. This causes the right rear of the car to drop down making the car unstable and veer to one side. The cure for this is to stiffen up the right rear spring so that the right rear of the car does not drop more than the left. There are kits sold for this purpose.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well Since We Are On The Subject ... What Are Your Thoughts On Removing The Front And Rear Stabilizers? Was Told It Will Help With Weight Transfer Off The Line.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Tech Droid

Old 04-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Tech Droid

The front stabilizer bar does nothing for drag racing, and it helps to ge rid of it. Being that much of the weight is shifted to the rear during hard acceleration it has no control over the car, and just adds dead weight. What helps, is very stiff stabilizer bar on the rear, where it helps to equalize the load between the rear tires. That being said, if you adjust the rear suspension so that the right side stays level with the left, then the rear sway bar will serve no purpose and you can get rid of it also. You can also look into gettting 90/10 drag shocks for the front, which allow the front end to raise fast and help to keep it there, and 50/50 shocks for the rear to help plant the rear wheels to the asphalt.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Tech Droid

Duplicate message, please ignore.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

So ... When You Say Shocks ... Can You Get The 90/10 's In Struts As Well Or Will I Need To Alter The Frame And Front End To Install Shocks On The Front?

Old 04-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Tech Droid

Try this site, they advertise drag racing suspension parts for your car.
http://www.martelbrothers.com/catalo...-1-c-1884.html
http://www.martelbrothers.com/catalo...ar-p-8200.html

Quick Reply: What A Drag !!!