Well, Ill never order from Jegs again...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:22 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default Well, Ill never order from Jegs again...

I recently had a catastrophic failure in my rear so I had to get a new assembly. The donor junkyard rear only had 2.73's in it, so I called Jegs to order a set of 3.73's....heres what happened....

I called and specifically told them the donor rear has 2.73's in it and I need 3.73's for that sized carrier. The phone tech gave me the part #, transferred me to cust service and I ordered my part. The garage called me today and informs me that Jegs shipped the wrong gear set. I called them up and explained their mistake, I also told them I took a week off work to get this done and I cant wait any longer than tomo to get the correct gears. I asked them to overnight the parts (on their tab) .....and thats when things got ugly.

The rep told me they were going to charge me overnight shipping because I had made the error. The rep called my story 'fishy' and accused me of 'changing my story several times'. As if to add insult to injury, he kept digging at me telling me it was my fault and I didnt know what I was ordering. I insisted Jegs pay overnight shipping. He finally agreed but kept saying "well, Jegs shouldnt have to pay for shipping because of your mistake' I informed the rep that not only was he being rude, but he was crossing the line into being belligerent with me. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he said "I dont have one....." "Hes on vacation" and eventually "Ill have him call you back"

I eventually got a call back from a supervisor who just said "Im sorry about that, its not the image we like to convey" and just sat there silently. Im not one to usually raise a fuss, but Ive NEVER had such ****ty customer service. Guess Im going back to dealing exclusively with Summit from now on.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:16 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That's terrible. I have to say though, it sounds like it was just that guy that was the problem. I've spent thousands of dollars with Jegs through the years and never once had a complaint about their customer service. I ordered from Summit for the first time last week and have to say I'm not impressed. The set of digital calipers I ordered came with a dead battery and a scratched display, they sent me the wrong size solid lifter, and since it's UPS, I didn't get it until 6:30 PM the next day. With Jegs if I order before 9pm, I get it by 10:30am the very next morning at the latest.

Last time I had a problem with Jegs they took care of it very quickly, and the guy I talked to still emails me from time to time. Turns out he's a huge yacht fanatic living in land locked Ohio, and I happen to wrench on mega yachts part of the year.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

Ive ordered extensively from Summit and Jegs in the past and have never had such an issue. You must have gotten a real jerk on the phone.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

I just couldnt believe how he kept arguing with me! Every time I would back off and attempt to close the matter he would say "well, whatever it takes to make you happy....BUT we shouldnt have to pay because you ordered the wrong parts." Then to tell me he didnt have a supervisor? I have NEVER raised my voice at a phone rep before...today was a first!

Old 06-04-2010, 08:29 AM
4th Gear Member

Take nothing for granted when ordering parts on-line for a 3rd gen car (they are over 20 yrs old). In your case, you tried ordering a gear set and just stated it is for a 2:73 ratio and expected to get get the correct part...Wrong. What you needed to state: A gear set with a 3:73 ratio for a GM 7.625 rear with a 2-series carrier that will require the special thicker ring gear made for the 2-series application and NOT one used with a 3-series carrier. So this could be both your errors, Jegs for not understanding the special application and your for not being very speciffic on the order details. A tough lesson learned and let everyone take note. Some of the order takers and buyers were not born yet when these cars were new and the part records are incomplete in most cases..

Last edited by blackz87; 06-04-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:39 AM
3rd Gear Member

I called and said "I have a set of 2.73's currently, I need 3.73 gears to fit a 3.08 and numerically lower carrier"....I am well aware of the carrier differences. Jegs ****ed the dog on this, not me. Then the rep gave me huge attitude. Id have just accepted it as an unfortunate error had the rep been polite about it.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I have had good and bad experiences with both Jegs and Summit, in the end they both took care of the issues regardless who's fault. I cant say a bad thing about Either..Sounds like you just got a jerk on the phone, and Im guessing he was put in his place eventually.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:13 PM

ive ordered from jegs , summit and other places plenty of times. dont let it **** u off lol. it happens every where its a mistake. mabey that guy just got reamed out buy his boss and screwed up lol .

Old 06-05-2010, 11:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by leadmonster
ive ordered from jegs , summit and other places plenty of times. dont let it **** u off lol. it happens every where its a mistake. mabey that guy just got reamed out buy his boss and screwed up lol .
Like I said...I could have just rolled with it but 1) Im on leave. Im full time military and I just cant take a 'day off' or 'personal' day, I gotta plan this stuff out. Their mistake cost me a week!

2) this guy STARTED the fight with me. He got rude, he insulted me, he called me a liar. I was SO flabbergasted by his behavior that at times I was just stammering for words. He wouldnt drop the issue either. Every time Id try and close the matter, he'd jut throw fuel on the fire.

I do take it personally as the phone rep will get 'spoken to' at the very worst. I was a phone rep for 2 years. It takes FOREVER for those guys to get in trouble.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:28 PM

That's BS!

Quick Reply: Well, Ill never order from Jegs again...