Weld my diff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Weld my diff?

Wondering if i should weld my diff on my 87 z28? (pinion gears to side gears) ( redneck limitedslip/posi )

How reliable is it? and is it even worth it?

Old 01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'd do that only if you're trying to test your stock axles to see how many days you can go stressing them out going around turns before they snap.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear member

.......... So you really dont think i should do it?

Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
2nd Gear member

I've heard of other people doing it. but maybe they only use it for drag racing or somthing

Old 01-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by c4maro
.......... So you really dont think i should do it?
Oh, is that what I was trying to say?
It's a bad idea for a street driven car. When you go around a turn, the outer wheel is going faster than the inner wheel. On a real tight turn, the inner tire will barely turn and the outer one a lot. What splits the two wheels up is your differential. With the axles locked together, both sides are always going to be turning the same amount. Going around a turn, something has to give. In your case, the car will feel like it's wanting to bind, especially in a tight turn. So what's gonna give? First the tires, by giving you a screech-hop, screech-hop as the inner one has to break free to keep up speed with the outer. Doing that puts a lot of stress on your axles, and your car doesn't have hi perf ones either. It would be a matter of time until one of your axles says "that's enough, I'm taking a permanent break".

Old 01-20-2011, 04:59 PM
4th Gear Member

Go ahead and do it, if you have a death wish.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

when i bought my 96 z28 a couple years back the guy failed to mention he welded the diff. 3.73s and "redneck posi" lasted a year for me then i hit pot hole and snapped my axles. so no i wouldnt do if you want to replace the rear end. not fun.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 96ZLT1
when i bought my 96 z28 a couple years back the guy failed to mention he welded the diff. 3.73s and "redneck posi" lasted a year for me then i hit pot hole and snapped my axles. so no i wouldnt do if you want to replace the rear end. not fun.
You did not have the Diff welded like he is talking. There is no way to test drive a car on the street with the differential welded. You would break an axles in minutes not years on pavement. The tire have to turn at the same speed. A simple thing like turning around is near impossible. Taking a right turn at a stops sign means you either lay rubber or the car jumps off the ground. The only racing I know of that does this is dirt track racing. I have no idea how you would move the car around at a drag race track. I made the mistake of taking a dirt car with a welded diff on the road, just the turn to get back off the bucked and jumped, my neck was sore for a week.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:06 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

i wouldnt do it, but one day was behind a nissan 240 that obviously had it welded. he was drifting turns, but we quite evident when he stopped and had to swing wide just to pull into his driveway, with the rear hopping and screeching

Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Okaay thanks guys. and camaro 69 i know how diff's work i just dident thing it was such a big deal and it was so bad to do it because i heard of so many people doing it.

Quick Reply: Weld my diff?