wat is the best exaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:06 AM
Default wat is the best exaust

wat is the best exaust for a 83 camaro z28 with a 305. i want it to sound loud and deep toned like a real old school car with a 454 in it.

thanks

Old 02-02-2009, 01:41 PM

if you want that it needs to be custom it has to be a true dual exhaust two pipes to the back one on each side then keep the pipes as straight as posible but definetly buy the headers from a company to hard to make them. it will definetly wake up the neighboors thats the best

Old 02-02-2009, 03:26 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

True duals are hard to install on a 3rd gen. There is really no place to run a second pipe. The ones that ARE running true duals, have problems with scraping, not to mention it takes quite a bit of time and material to fab it up, so it's going to be costly.

For it to sound like a 454, it would have to be a 454. Just about every motor has it's own unique sound, and to replicate it is close to impossible. It can sound good, but remember it's still a 305. You're best bet if you are on a budget is to do a 2.5" y pipe into a single 3" pipe, and back into a flow master 80 series muffler, and shorty headers of your choosing.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Default good exhaust

i did long tube hooker headers to a 2.5" y-pipe, too a 3" midpipe, too a magna-flo cross-flo muffler with 3 inch inlet and 2.5" outlet with 3.5" chrome tips.
its sounds beast, very deep and ive got a 84 sport coupe with a 305 carb.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 PM
BackseatBob

unfortunately, Jr. is exactly right... third gens weren't designed for true-dual, which is a bummer. You CAN manage to get it in if you want to pay the extra coin, or if you can spend a lot of extra time on the exhaust to fabricate it.
I'm stubborn and I like my true dual so I'm going to attempt to get dual exhaust in mine when i put my 350 in it... I'm going to ATTEMPT to run 2 1/2" dual exhaust pretty dang close to the tranny and driveshaft. It'll be a tight fit but I think I can make it work... doesn't leave a whole lot of room for mufflers though, I'm still trying to figure that out...

Old 02-02-2009, 10:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Glasspacks are what you need bobarian. :-)

Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 91_Camaro_RS
Glasspacks are what you need bobarian. :-)
Sure, they sound great, but for a Daily Driver, no way. Way too loud around town and too much drone on the freeway. Not to mention, over time they become nothing more than straight pipes.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I see

Old 02-03-2009, 01:59 PM
BackseatBob

lol, well, my truck had glasspacks and I'm not a big fan of them... too restrictive for me. Plus yeah the drone. Now I'm running straight pipes on my truck and it's a beast on acceleration but it's cruises quieter than the glasspacks.
For the car what I was thinking is some collector mufflers.... the ones that slip inside of the headers collector and bolt onto the flange with the exhaust...

Old 02-06-2009, 10:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: IN, or hell whichever, wait, its too cold to be hell

Originally Posted by bobarian91
unfortunately, Jr. is exactly right... third gens weren't designed for true-dual, which is a bummer. You CAN manage to get it in if you want to pay the extra coin, or if you can spend a lot of extra time on the exhaust to fabricate it.
I'm stubborn and I like my true dual so I'm going to attempt to get dual exhaust in mine when i put my 350 in it... I'm going to ATTEMPT to run 2 1/2" dual exhaust pretty dang close to the tranny and driveshaft. It'll be a tight fit but I think I can make it work... doesn't leave a whole lot of room for mufflers though, I'm still trying to figure that out...

i was actually planning to do the same with my 86. one thing i noticed is that the fuel lines run on the same channel so keep an eye on that. I am doing a rear seat delete so I may just cut out the buckets and weld in a plate to make room for two 40 series flowmasters.

here is how what you are thinking of will look

http://fbody.beater.org/dvc1.jpg

and more ideas here

http://fbody.beater.org/

Quick Reply: wat is the best exaust