Tune-up....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Default Tune-up....

Mymanual 92rsis mis-firing really bad and I am thinking of giving the car a tune-up since its been a few years.
Im not too much of a car buff but knowIm gonnaget new spark-plugs, new wires, distributor cap, and rotor....

1) Any other suggestions on what Ishould change out?
2) Could you guys help me on what brandsI might try and get (& from where?) or does it really matter?

Please help

Old 02-14-2007, 01:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Tune-up....

i would change out the fuel filter first and see what that does. are you spitting out white smoke while you sputter cause if you are its definately fuel. i had this issue before. i changed my fuel pump for the holley 14psi. they got it at autozone or advance auto parts too. about 100 bucks for it but its worth it. for your plugs and wires id go for the msd 8mm wires along with the msd cap and rotor. you might spend 250 all together with the fuel pump, fuel filter, wires, cap and rotor and plugs. its worth the money dude. also do you still have your stock filter, if so change it to the edlebrock filter which will remove the whole stock look.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:20 AM

ORIGINAL: cubancamaro

i would change out the fuel filter first and see what that does. are you spitting out white smoke while you sputter cause if you are its definately fuel. i had this issue before. i changed my fuel pump for the holley 14psi. they got it at autozone or advance auto parts too. about 100 bucks for it but its worth it. for your plugs and wires id go for the msd 8mm wires along with the msd cap and rotor. you might spend 250 all together with the fuel pump, fuel filter, wires, cap and rotor and plugs. its worth the money dude. also do you still have your stock filter, if so change it to the edlebrock filter which will remove the whole stock look.
I just changed my fuel fliter a couple of days ago and still the mis-fire. What stock filter are you talking about?
Also is the holley fuel pump better than onethe dealer would carry? I think the dealer one was around 130.

Thanks for the info on the tune-up stuff. I think I might try the fuel pump a little later.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

if it was running fine and now real bad, timing might be off also. i'm having similar problem but my timing is off. not sure if you can just adjust the distributor or if the timing chain needs done. any comments to this is welcome. would help me also.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

It could be a bad ignition module too, so you might want to get that tested.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

do you have a intake fuel pump, inline or do you have the one on the engine itself. either way holley makes fuel pumps for all 3 and yes it kicks *** man its worth the money and it pushes more for you. Most likely its your pump thats making you sputter but you need to also take the wires plugs and distributer cap and rotor into consideration. pretty easy stuff man i can almost assure you thats what it'll be and dont forget to check your fuel pump relay fuse you might want to change it to a 30amp fuse if you dont have it there already

Old 02-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Overdrive Member

Just do your tune up. Always make sure you car is in a good state of tune before diagnoseing a poor running condition and thowing other parts at it.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:08 PM

amen to mad mike, just do the bloody tune up, if that doesn't fix it, go to something else....