Trying to figure what it will take to supercharge my 88 TPI

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 10:20 PM
Default Trying to figure what it will take to supercharge my 88 TPI

I’ve been doing some research and i can find a P-1SC and was curious if I do this mod do I have to change anything with the throttle body or injectors and will I need to upgrade the cam and does it need a tune? Was just curious if anyone on here has done this and could answer some of my questions

Old 03-11-2022, 07:49 AM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

first, welcome to the forum, post over in the new members section so we can get to know you a little better

now, with the TPI stuff, you can absolutely put a procharger on it and they will make good power, a solid 12 second car with supporting mods. What kind of shape is the current motor in? Trans? Running well? No leaks? headgaskets?

You're going to need to upgrade the fuel pump (walbro 255 at a minimum) and an FMU would do the deed fuel wise. Also, you will need to change the tune, you could try EBL flash for the tuning aspect, typically they can do everything by mail or there are other stand-a-lone options but thats a can of worms, because cost can spiral out of control there.

How much power do you want to make? How fast do you want to go? Whats your budget? All of these will come into play as supporting mod wise, long tubes, an intercooler, injectors, camshafts, heads etc will all make more power, but can everything around it handle it? Let us know

Old 03-11-2022, 09:15 AM

The car only has 45k on it the motors in good shape and so I tranny no leaks or anything I owned a 92 rs before this and it had a rear end howl and this one kinda does to so idk if that’s just a normal thing or what but I’d like the mod the engine and see what happens..no the fuel pump your talkin about that fits in the factory tank? And i can leave the throttle body and injectors and everything factory? And with flashing it mail wise how’s that work?

im basically just wanting to throw some money at my car I’ve had it ten years it’s super clean I’ve decided I’m prolly gonna keep it my whole life so keeping it all original and then tryna sell it down the road has left my mind so I’m looking at throwin money at it to go a little faster..I was thinkin of just putting a cam in it but wasn’t really tryna take the motor out or front clip off whatever was gonna be easier.. I’m just curious if I do put a pro charger on it and get a tune will I need to put a cam in it? Cause if I don’t I’d prefer not to but I would if I had to..I’ve looked at long tube hooker headers and see they have a spot for the 02 sensor but didn’t kno if that’d throw a check engine light?

Old 03-11-2022, 10:51 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Is this the 305 or the 350? The 305 is a weak motor and you really do not want to increase the HP of it. These things would spin bearings bone stock under warranty with less then 10k on them. You can increase the HP as long as you baby it and you want it to brag about dyno numbers but it may not survive the first trip to a race track. Now if you have 350 it should be good up too 350-375 hp. but at that point your stock trans will not last long depending on how you drive it and what tires you run (assuming its stock).

If you are looking just for budget info, yes you will need injectors, fuel pump and new map sensor headers and exhaust. You should allow for 5-6K just for the super charger install. 2k for the trans upgrade and 2k for the rear. If you want to build a all forged lower end that will be another 5k and you could spend another $2500 on heads and a cam. and yes that assumes you are doing most of the work,

You do not want to piece together anything without either serious research or you can follow along other peoples builds and learn from their mistakes. You can do this in stages and turn up the supercharger as you go but you will need to send for a new tune each time. I would recommend a AAA membership

If this is an all original car I would not mess with it. If you want real want a fast car you should look at buying a shell and getting a LS motor swap. The modern LS motor a much easier to modify and they are much stronger stock.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:49 PM

It has the 350 in it.. thanks for your guys input I’ve never installed a supercharger let alone tried to build a fast car..I’m mechanically inclined and worked on cars for 3 1/2 years and still work on peoples on the side just didn’t kno what I was gettin into..that’s why I got on this forum to see if anyone has done anything similar and I could learn from their mistakes the easier way lol..if you guys have any more pointers I’d love to hear them and how much do think my car is worth being all original low mileage only thing not factory is sound system

Old 03-12-2022, 02:44 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well condition is everything, Has it been re-painted? how good is that repaint? how is the interior how original is that? Hagerty.com say a 1988 camaro with the 350 is worth almost 17k. With your low miles if its in good condition it could be a little closer to 20k, Its the 350 part that make it rare. Only 12111 made.

This is why I say it is not worth messing with it if you add just a super charger to it it will cost you 5-6k and it would drop the value of the car 5-8K.

They are the best iroc you can get. Guys that wanted one in high school wanted the 350. On paper the 350 are only 10 more HP but to anyone that has driven 305 and the 350 on the same day knows that does not tell the true story. The 350 would blow the doors off the 305. At the dealer I worked for we would do a one or two crank kits per month for the 305 under warranty. I cannot remember doing a crank kit in any 350 through 1990 when I stopped being a tech. The TPI system was sized for the 305 and the 350 would starve for air at higher RPM. IMO the 350 was a 280 hp motor with RPM limiter on it.

So if you are not happy with the car sell it and buy a rust free less rare car version and build it the way you want it. Modding a low miles rare highly sought-after car does not make a lot of sense.

Old 03-12-2022, 03:53 PM

It has original paint which looks real good and the interior is immaculate it had the original tires on it when I bought it! I’ve always been happy with the car but I figured since I was gonna keep it my whole life that It didn’t really matter what the value of the car would be to me cause I wasn’t gonna sell it. I was just tryin to see what it’d take to add a super charger cause I didn’t think I’d have to mod the engine to much but from what y’all are sayin I might as well do the rods and a cam and all that. I appreciate your input and I do agree with you no sense in modding a completely original car like that with no miles so I’ll prolly be on the look out for a shell and I could do an LS swap on somethin that has a solid body. I wanna say thanks for all the input you guys have been helpful and I’m glad I got on this forum