Top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Top speed?

ORIGINAL: blackz87

All 3rd Gen cars without speed rated tires were speed limited. This was to prevent Liability Issues for GM. But over the years a lot of owners removed it from the ECM. So unless you were the orignal owner who is to say. One more note: BW 9-bolt 2:77 rears were NOT stock on 84 models.
Like it or not but I disagree with you. I got the car from the original owner and she did not do a thing to it. But wreck it. And the speed rated tire thing sounds like a wives tale. Have proof?
BW I know my car had 2:77. I had replaced the original rear end.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:11 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

All 3rd Gen cars without speed rated tires were speed limited. This was to prevent Liability Issues for GM. But over the years a lot of owners removed it from the ECM. So unless you were the orignal owner who is to say. One more note: BW 9-bolt 2:77 rears were NOT stock on 84 models.
Like it or not but I disagree with you. I got the car from the original owner and she did not do a thing to it. But wreck it. And the speed rated tire thing sounds like a wives tale. Have proof?
Background info on the BW 9-Bolt 2:77 ratio not being Stock in 1984 models. Go to www.thirdgen.org and check the info for your model year.

Speed Limiter: Again go to www.thirdgen.org and check the pages of Tech Articles under ELECTRICAL and find this article: "Overcoming the Speed Limiter on TBI F-bodies"

This site will help you understand what is stock or modified.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

Background info on the BW 9-Bolt 2:77 ratio not being Stock in 1984 models. Go to www.thirdgen.org and check the info for your model year.

Speed Limiter: Again go to www.thirdgen.org and check the pages of Tech Articles under ELECTRICAL and find this article: "Overcoming the Speed Limiter on TBI F-bodies"

This site will help you understand what is stock or modified.
I think you need to read a little closer. It not only says on thirdgenorg, but in your own post "....TBI F-BODIES". Not all Camros were TBI. So all 3rd gens are not speed limited. Rgaurdless of what ever tires were used. Not only that it also explains bypassing with out a chip!
BTW I do not need to look up background on stock gears. I stated in my post I had replaced the rear end!

Old 08-11-2006, 05:04 PM
4th Gear Member

Since most of the questions in these posts concern V6, carb & TBI cars they were the ones I was making Ref to for a Speed Limiter and the non-speed rated tires. So my info was correct in the fact I never did say all 3rd gen cars were limited to 115/120MPH. Also the easy way to remove a speed limitered is by a chip, but there are other ways. Still confused about the 84 rear axle you claim to have stock or replaced (did you put in a BW 9-bolt 2:77)???

Old 08-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Overdrive Member

Since most of the questions in these posts concern V6, carb & TBI cars they were the ones I was making Ref to for a Speed Limiter and the non-speed rated tires. So my info was correct in the fact I never did say all 3rd gen cars were limited to 115/120MPH.
v6, carb& tbi. Since those were the ones you were making reference to you are incorrct because carbed cars did not have speed limiting. And look back in your post because you did say all third gen.
Still confused about the 84 rear axle you claim to have stock or replaced (did you put in a BW 9-bolt 2:77)???
You are the one confused. I surely did not remove a 9 bolt from my 84 so I must have put one in. And I counted the gears and did the math while I had the cover off. No matter what you may find on the web you are not going to be able to tell me what I have in my car.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:12 PM

i have a 92 camaro 305 tbi and 700r4 trans in o/d i can only go 109mph but if i take it out of o/d and put it int regular d aka 3rd i can go 125mph easily

Old 09-24-2006, 02:40 AM
Tech Droid

ORIGINAL: cobb1985

i have a 92 camaro 305 tbi and 700r4 trans in o/d i can only go 109mph but if i take it out of o/d and put it int regular d aka 3rd i can go 125mph easily
Your car is geared too high and does not allow the engine to rev high enough to reach the power peak and pull top speed in OD. When in regular Drive the engine can rev up high enough to have the power to go faster. Tall gears do not equate to higher speed if the engine casn't get into the power band.

Next time you get pulled over by a police cruiser, check the decals on the dashboard, and in many cases you will see one stating "DO NOT USE OD WHEN IN PERSUIT MODE"

Old 09-24-2006, 12:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

I don't know about the 3rd Gens but, I bought a '96 Z28 with Z rated Goodyear tires and I had it up to 147 MPH in factory trim at a test track. My friend bought a '97 Z28 with H rated tires and His bumped the Governor at 110 MPH. So the speed rating thing is no " wives tale ". I bought a Hypertech Programmer last year and it did wonderful things. Car ran 13.93 stock with 3.42 gears and ran 13. 68 after programming. So a Chip for the 3rd gen is a bonus for bypassing the governer.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I dunno top speed but i had my 86 wound out at 120 in fourth at about 4000rpm but didnt make it through fifth due to a very sharp turn comin up. had to downshift and get on the brakes quick.