HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 04:49 AM
Default HELP PLEASE

I'm buying this 1990 Camaro RS. The owners said it won't start cause of the security system in the car, Does that sound right? They said they went to the dealer and had a special key made but still nothing, maybe wrong code or chip. Is there a way to bypass the system?

Old 09-24-2006, 04:56 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: HELP PLEASE

Im not sure if you can bypass the system...of what i know..is the security system on my moms 95 camaro the chip in the key has to match the one in the ignition..you may have to get a key made to match the original chip that was on the original key..

Old 09-24-2006, 05:00 AM

Thats what I was thinking but I just don't wanna tow this thing all over I'm getting a real good deal on it. I mean I'm going to be ripping out the V-6, cause I have a nice 350 Going in . I was just hoping and heard there was a way.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

it may cost a lil bit more if you just go out and buy a complety new igniton...but then you wouldnt have to tow it all over town..or you could see if a locksmith could come to your house and make one to fit the chip in the ignition..but in the manual you have to get a GM dealership to make it

Old 09-24-2006, 05:09 AM

Yea its kind of a bummer but he wants 300 for the car and its clean. I proably would kick myself in the a$$ if I don't take it

Old 09-24-2006, 05:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

heck yea..i wish i couldve gotten a deal like that..mine is a 87 and the interior was really nasty and dirty..and i paid $400 for mine..after about a good two days..i had cleaned the entire interior..but the carpet still needs replacing because its really worn..but mine doesnt have the security thing.. go check out my page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2453803

Old 09-24-2006, 08:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

300$? Jump on that man!

Old 09-24-2006, 10:27 PM
2nd Gear member

There are two options here. One is a pain in the ***, but will get it started to get home. You can put the key on and turn the ignition switch to the on postion and turn the starter motor on by shorting the hot wire on the solenoid to the starter inlet post. Unfortunately, the solenoid is on the starter, which means getting under the car to do it. The second thing to do would be to eliminate the starter enable switch that's operated by the key, but unless you have a firm knowledge of electronic systems I wouldn't tackle that. If you like, though, I can get a copy of the wiring diagram from alldata and post it on here when I go to school tommorow night.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Tech Droid

If you have the factory security system with the resistor pellet in the key, the security lite should come on when you attempt to start the car. The car cannot be jump started becase the computer will not fire the injectors without a coded signal from the security module. There is a way to bypass the security system, but the security module has to be good. See this site for procrdure.

http://shbox.com/1/how_tos.html
See items 21 & 22