thinking about a 327

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 01:36 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by rancheronut
[FONT=Agency FB][B]

first you say" im thinking about making it a mild build "
second you say" do i see it being too expensive."

i was saying i dont think it would be too expensive. by saying that if it would be cheaper to do a different engine i would welcome someone to tell me. but from what i have read both online and from a couple of ppl who have built engines before it shouldnt be too bad.

third you say" only crank i could find for a 327 was over a grand. should i just go to my local machine shop"

ok ill bite. whats so bad about just getting a stock replacement crank. im sure i can still achieve my goal of 350 hp with a stock crank and i dont need to stroke the engine

fourth you say" i rebuild for performance not just a stock rebuild

i said i have only rebuilt an engine as a stock rebuild. i have never built a performance or mildly built engine before.

you ask for idea's. when some one gives you a idea base on what your telling them. you turn around get upset!

when di i ever get upset

a true performance engine needs to have the block honed to match the piston. not a after idea like your doing.

honing is the cross-hatch pattern the put on the cylinder walls. ends up being the same. are you thinking of something else?

true performance engine needs to have the crank/rods/pistons/rings/flexplate/performance balancer taking in and have it balanced. not something like you’re your doing.

who ever said i wasnt going to balance them. your assuming a lot

true performance engine needs good aftermarket aluminum heads, not like your stock 327 heads you want to use!

ok. this isnt a true-performance engine then. ever thought that when i said mildly built that that is what i meant? just mildly built. hmmmm........

so after you truly figure out just what engine you really want because you say you want performance engine but it sound like you don't have the money and trying to get a nice rebuilt because a true performance engine cost money and know how to build them!:
i think i covered this. i want a mildly built engine. maybe in your opinion what i want is a performance engine. but in my opinion i want an engine that is good quality rebuilt but still has 350 hp.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by mtn_maro
i think i covered this. i want a mildly built engine. maybe in your opinion what i want is a performance engine. but in my opinion i want an engine that is good quality rebuilt but still has 350 hp.

honing is the cross-hatch pattern the put on the cylinder walls. ends up being the same. are you thinking of something else?

this will be the first engine i rebuild for performance not just a stock rebuild so i want it to turn out good

it not my opinion you want a performance. all you have to do, is re-read all your reply's! you say one thing, then you say something other in a different reply. I even highlighted some of them for you ,above my last reply.

i can tell you have NOT built many engine's! i have been rebuilding engines for over 20 yrs and no they don't end up being the same!
honing cylinders get the piston clearance between the block and piston's.
cross-hatch is process you do to help breaking the rings ,when it first fire up the engine after being rebuilt.
to much- the piston rattles' in the bore when engine cold, to little- the piston scores or stick in the bore when engine hot.
cast piston take less clearance than forge piston .
the clearance also depends what rpms the engine you biulding is going to be use for. if higher RPMS are in the plan-then you want them on the loose side. if it just a stock engine- then you want them one the tight side ,so to last over 100,000 miles..
each piston maker don't make the same size piston. a out side micrometer will prove that! that’s why you mic each of the pistons you going to use, then hone the cylinder walls to provide the clearance you need for that bore/cylinder .
but that ok! just built it your way. it your engine. it your money. just get a plan.

Last edited by rancheronut; 06-26-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: where walldo
Old 06-26-2009, 04:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by rancheronut
it not my opinion you want a performance. all you have to do, is re-read all your reply's! you say one thing, then you say something other in a different reply. I even highlighted some of them for you ,above my last reply.

i can tell you have NOT built many engine's! i have been rebuilding engines for over 20 yrs and no they don't end up being the same!
honing cylinders get the piston clearance between the block and piston's.
cross-hatch is process you do to help breaking the rings ,when it first fire up the engine after being rebuilt.
to much- the piston rattles' in the bore when engine cold, to little- the piston scores or stick in the bore when engine hot.
cast piston take less clearance than forge piston .
the clearance also depends what rpms the engine you biulding is going to be use for. if higher RPMS are in the plan-then you want them on the loose side. if it just a stock engine- then you want them one the tight side ,so to last over 100,000 miles..
each piston maker don't make the same size piston. a out side micrometer will prove that! that’s why you mic each of the pistons you going to use, then hone the cylinder walls to provide the clearance you need for that bore/cylinder .
but that ok! just built it your way. it your engine. it your money. just get a plan.
when i put performance i meant under your terms of performance. so i should have put quotation marks. yes you have been building engines for 20 years. im not saying you are wrong. but you are the first person to say that honing a cylinder is for more than to just get the proper finish on the cylinder walls. i realize i need a bigger piston because i know for a fact that the cylinders have been bored. so. back on topic. away from the arguement

Old 06-26-2009, 04:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by mtn_maro
when i put performance i meant under your terms of performance. so i should have put quotation marks. yes you have been building engines for 20 years. im not saying you are wrong. but you are the first person to say that honing a cylinder is for more than to just get the proper finish on the cylinder walls. i realize i need a bigger piston because i know for a fact that the cylinders have been bored. so. back on topic. away from the arguement

what argument? did I miss some thing again?