thinking about a 327

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by mtn_maro
....why would the one the flows the way my 327 flows be wrong. is it because the way the belts run end up making the water pump flow the opposite way its supposed to?

went and got the 327 block heads and intake. forgot that my dad had put an aftermarket intake on it. idk how good it is but its a weiand brand and the only numbers i found on it was 8004. wondering if its any good.
I wasn't talking about flow direction with the 327 specific water pump. The earlier style pumps that were put on the 327 are a "short" style. You need to use the "long" style pump. The short pump is a lower profile and your current pump pulleys won't work nor would they line up with the other pulleys on the engine.
Your 305 is now v-belt? It used to be serpentine, correct? Did you take off the reverse flow water pump and put on a conventional pump?
And about the Weiand intake, it's not much more than a stock replacement. It's not a hi-perf manifold. http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...no_charts.html
If you're looking for better performance, you might want to consider an Edelbrock Performer Air Gap. But the Weiand you have will work OK for the time being if replacing it isn't in the budget.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:09 AM
2nd Gear member

my 305 has always had v belts. at least as far as i know.
i figured it wasnt much better just because the engine was in my dad's lets go in the woods and get firewood truck. he never needed much more than stock power out of it.

ill be sure to get the water pump you said. its going to be a slow build. only make about 800 a month so....yeah. plus i want to do it right. make sure i dont make any mistakes.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

OK, that's different. When you said it has a v-belt "now", it sounded like it used to have serpentine.
Take a look at your current pump when you take stuff apart. When I changed the pump on my 3rd gen and had it in my hand, it looked pretty much identical to the older long style pump. Applications show a different part # between the older and newer engines. But the differences may just be in any bracket mounting bosses, etc. on the housing. The pump you have might be the better application to go along with the accessories on your engine.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 06-25-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:01 PM
2nd Gear member

sorry that i was unclear. im so excited for this. i have had this engine block apart for 5 years now and its already been machined to .030 over i think. gotta make sure on that one. now i need to get a new crankshaft unless my dad somehow finds the old one. but i have a feeling it will be warped if he does find it. where would be the best place to buy one at. i looked at summit racing and the only crank i could find for a 327 was over a grand. should i just go to my local machine shop and buy one through them? is there a better option?

Old 06-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I've seen vendors on flebay selling Eagle cranks with bearings for under $700. Still not cheap. Are you planning on building a fairly "normal" 327? If you find the old crank, I would have your machine shop check it for true. It depends on how your dad stored it too. If it was laying down, then it could be warped. A crank should be stored standing up.
Also, if the cylinders have been bored out as you think, you should see an 030 (or however much) stamped into the tops of the pistons.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:10 AM
2nd Gear member

we didnt get the pistons. we were going to buy them separate. i believe they marked it on the block somewhere. worse comes to worse i can find out the specs of the cylinder and measure it see how different it is. only reason i think the crank is warped is because idk where he has it stored. so. if either of us find it then ill get it checked for true cause i would love to use the original crank if it is in good shape. otherwise is there a crank from a different size engine you can suggest for good performance but still very streetable/ not disgustingly horrid gas mileage?

Old 06-26-2009, 02:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i had my dad handy down 1972C20 that had broken cam lobs. so i got a 1967 327 WITH bad(broken) crank . we use a replacement 305 crank (cheap). it made it into a 350 cid. that 327 turned 350 engine ran better than the 402BBC it replaced ever did. you can find 305 crank every where. most times there cheap too.

or get 400SBC crank and make a 383cid.

on account you have not got new pistons yet, why stay 327cid?

Last edited by rancheronut; 06-26-2009 at 02:35 AM. Reason: where walldo
Old 06-26-2009, 03:19 AM
2nd Gear member

as long as i use the 327 block i might try to change the bore/stroke. buuuuuuuuuuuuut not knowing much on how to build a good engine i am leery on doing a hodgepodge engine. this will be the first engine i rebuild for performance not just a stock rebuild so i want it to turn out good

Old 06-26-2009, 12:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by mtn_maro
im thinking about making it a mild build maybe 350ish hp at the crank and about the same amount of torque. do you guys think it is resonable to do this with a 327? i would think so. i dont really see it being much of an issue nor do i see it being too expensive.

i looked at summit racing and the only crank i could find for a 327 was over a grand. should i just go to my local machine shop and buy one through them? is there a better option?

as long as i use the 327 block i might try to change the bore/stroke. buuuuuuuuuuuuut not knowing much on how to build a good engine i am leery on doing a hodgepodge engine. this will be the first engine i rebuild for performance not just a stock rebuild so i want it to turn out good

first off! there not call hodgepodge engine! there called stroker engine! they have kit's that will hold over 950 hp ! that more than your 327 block you rebiulding..

how do you think they where made stroker engine before the aftermarket world got into it? hello?
how do you think GM made there high reving 302 for the SCCA back in the early 70's
the factory's have been doing it for year's!
plus hodgepodge is the last thing you need to worry about! you don't have any kind of plan!

first you say" im thinking about making it a mild build "
second you say" do i see it being too expensive."
third you say" only crank i could find for a 327 was over a grand. should i just go to my local machine shop"
fourth you say" i rebuild for performance not just a stock rebuild

you ask for idea's. when some one gives you a idea base on what your telling them. you turn around get upset!

a true performance engine needs to have the block honed to match the piston. not a after idea like your doing.
true performance engine needs to have the crank/rods/pistons/rings/flexplate/performance balancer taking in and have it balanced. not something like you’re your doing.
true performance engine needs good aftermarket aluminum heads, not like your stock 327 heads you want to use!

so after you truly figure out just what engine you really want because you say you want performance engine but it sound like you don't have the money and trying to get a nice rebuilt because a true performance engine cost money and know how to build them!:

Last edited by rancheronut; 06-26-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: where walldo
Old 06-26-2009, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear member

a friend of my dads has a 400 hp 327 in his nova..with the 4.11's he has its a screamer lol

i forget what all he has..i know a biggish cam, aluminum intake, heads, and full basic bolt ons..

Quick Reply: thinking about a 327