TBI to carb, got a few questions i didnt see answers to

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:27 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default TBI to carb, got a few questions i didnt see answers to

The fuel pump: i know it runs a bit high for carbs so i will have to get a regulator. But what sensors ( if any ) are needed to keep it running? Or is it just a " if the cars on the pump is running" thing?

The computer: Any reason left to keep this POS? its a 5 speed and will stay that way if it dosent go to either a muncie ( good luck i know) or a t56.

Cruise Control: Mostly for resale value since it wont be going on any long road trips after this. How is it controlled? a seperate system all together? Or is it tied into the cars computer somehow? I might end up ditching it all together cause ill be dammed if thats gona keep me from having what i want!!

Ill need to run an EGR to keep it street legal though, so that sucks. But anybody know if i need to keep that stupid air cleaner assembly as well??? The deal is i have to keep and maintain all emissions equipment even though i dont have any emissions checks anymore. Only safety which includes a visual inspection of all emissions BS. I might be better off asking some shops around here and the jackass DMV or whoever around here for more precise laws on it.

Removeing the computer will in turn get rid of the SES light right? Or will it still be on?

Old 04-07-2008, 06:35 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: TBI to carb, got a few questions i didnt see answers to

anybody?

Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM
2nd Gear member

your fuel pump is computer controlled i believe. you can take it out and put in a mechanical one on the block. no need for the computer unless you have a computer advance distributor. new intake manifold, a carb of course, and the cruise control can be ripped out if you want. i did. theres 4 wires that goto the dash for the cruise. everything on the cruise control is controlled by vaccum. disconnect the vaccum lines and plug them up. im not sure about the cable mounting bracket for the throttle cable though. other than that thats really all you need to do.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:03 PM
March 2008 ROTM

yea i found a performer kit for my car that im gona use. has the egr and all that for me. Includeing a cam and a carb for like 623 i think. What do yall think of the MSD kits?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:53 PM
March 2008 ROTM

also, do i have to pull the pump from in the tank out to use a mechanical pump? If so... what about the sending unit..?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:35 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I believe you can use compressed air to break the bead in the electric pump allowing the fuel to flow through it. IMO, I would go with a Holley street avenger carb, that is the one that I am going to be picking up for my camaro and is much better than an edelbrock.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:44 PM
March 2008 ROTM

holly makes a good carb. but from what every single shop ive even been to says, for my application, edelbrock 650 is the way to go. This particular one is quick and easy to tune and adjust. So if i go to the track and want a little bit more oomph then i can work with it and gain a little bit, however little it is. But they also tell me that the hollys are the shizznit for track use. So, if i ever built a car for straight up drag, id have one or two of those on there. We have ran a edelbrock 650 performer on our 68 pickup for 7 years now and dont have a single problem, after the intial tune, we havent had to change a thing about it. aside from needles when we pull something big.

I dont know that i want to "break" anything in my gas tank or in the line. espically with 20 year old lines. Ill prolly just drop the tank and get rid of the pump itself. If i can without messing things up back there..

SCOTT!!! i know youve run a carb on your setup now. what did you do in the tank for fuel?!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

They are right, and so are you. The edelbrock 650's are extremely reliable carbs, but are nothing more than a Weber carb, and not any better than a stock Q jet. The reason I say the street avenger carb over a regular holley DP is because they are supposed to be extremely easy to tune and you are supposed to be able to get 6% more power or 6% more economy with the turn of a screw.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:15 PM
March 2008 ROTM

i may look into them. im kinda biased towards edelbrock simply cause the luck ive had with them. But cant hurt to do a lil research on the hollys and ask around

Old 04-08-2008, 08:30 PM
March 2008 ROTM

for giggles, say i got this setup...

http://holley.com/300-48.asp
remember: i need to keep this emissions LEGAL LOOKING, so i need the egr valve. but i do not need to pass the sniffer anymore

and top that off with a Street Avenger 670? and a cam of some kind obviously, but idk which one yet

Goal here is low to mid 400 with all motor and maybe a small shot of nitrous for some fun. like a 150 shot, maybe not even.

Quick Reply: TBI to carb, got a few questions i didnt see answers to