TBI to Carb

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 07:15 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default TBI to Carb

So im considering dropping the FI all together and going carb. Am i set mechanically with a new carb and a new manifold? Im running the TBI right now. Or do i need to change the fuel pump and all that?

as forthat computer. DoI just find a place around here that will change it and make it accept a carb? or am i just somewhat SOL when it comes to that?

Old 12-18-2006, 09:47 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: TBI to Carb

For the computer, you'll just need a controller for the transmission lockup, the rest should be computer free, so long as you don't use a feedback carb. The fuel pump will work, but you will need a lower pressure regulator, probably about 13 psi, as opposed to probably 40 or 50 on the FI, but check the specs on your carb to be certain. You'll pretty much wanna rip out all the emmissions stuff except for your EVAP system, since it saves you gas with no detriment to the performance of the car. You should be able to swap it out yourself if you've got a friend whose done it before, or if you have a good bit of experience with lesser repairs.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:48 PM
March 2008 ROTM

Do i still need it if i have a 5 speed? i dont have an automatic transmission. And where might this regulator go? just anyplace in the line that it will fit?

but yea i would only do all this if the emissions is canceled in this area for the age of my car, which i heard its goin from 95 or 96 and up. So if it happens, then ill go carb.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Overdrive Member

You will need a distributer that is not computer controled. And your fuel pump should already be around 14 psi for a TBI. You do need to regulate that to around 7psi for a carb.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:23 PM
March 2008 ROTM

hm, this is quickly turning into a rather large and sounds like a time consuming project. and for a daily driver, i dont know if ill be able to do this seeing as how i dont have another car to drive...

Old 12-19-2006, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

actually a really basic kinda easy swap
do you have any motor building skills if so should be a piece of cake

Old 12-19-2006, 04:49 PM
March 2008 ROTM

I personally do not have MUCH experience rebuilding an engine.

But my father on the other hand has been doing this literally his whole life. Growing up on a farm in missouri you kinda learn to fix stuff with what ya got to save money.

He would be helping me do this. Seems like the only thing holding me back now is emissions and money, as i am soon to be a proud new father, i am saving for my child, not so much my car. Im just doing what i can with my car with whatever extra money i have.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

what year is your camaro? just curious.

anyways if you have a 350 tbi, why go to carb?.get your tbi and intake manifold milled to 50 mm or two inches. you can get a bored to two inch intake manifold on ebay for like 100 bucks and a modded tbi for 225. then you dont have to worry about the hassle of carb. if you dont already, get a dual snorkel aircleaner or a type of ram air. tbi really is underrated because of emmisions and such. i love my 305 tbi, i would rather have a 350 of course but its got kick if you do simple mods ie camshaft, gears,posi, bored tbi, and a chip, it'l smoke.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

you have swirl port heads. changing the fuel supply will do nothing. tbi heads or the worst flowing heads GM made. if your changing to carb, change the heads as well. Sick

Old 12-19-2006, 08:58 PM
March 2008 ROTM

yea i never really thought about boreing it out like that. I guess i would just take it up to a machine shop for that? i could take both the TBI and mani to them. Save a bunch of money that way. But what else would i have to do to the TBI? Or could i just use the same injectors and all that?

as for the heads sick, im workin on a set of Vortec heads. Both for 250 bucks. But they are on a 305,,, so i gotta ask the kid if they are intended for a 350 or the 305, cause if its the 305, i dont think it would be much of a change. Ive been lookin for a decent set without blowing my wallet. Any ideas for a good set of heads for about 300 or less each? Like i said before im trying to save money, im just useing spare money to make all this happening.

Quick Reply: TBI to Carb