taking out the computer

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Default taking out the computer

My 87 is computer controlled and i think it is just a big hassle. More hoses and more plugs are really just more problems plus i hate having a quadrajunk carburator. Since buying my maro ive done the 305 to 350 swap(new engine) replaced the carb and this car is still running like **** and stalling on me. When you look under my hood you cant even tell its a new engine from all the damn plugs and I think i would be better off just running this car like the older models (taking out the computer). Any advice ? has anyone did this?

Old 08-07-2010, 06:56 PM

and why is my signature pict not displayed ( im new)

Old 08-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You might be having problems with your existing distributor timing. For one, if you didn't reconnect your knock sensor circuit, the computer can be retarding the timing by default till the engine runs like a slug. To get rid of the computer, you need to trash your computer controlled distributor and get a stand-alone type.
Did you convert the engine over to carb, or did a previous owner? How you handled your fuel delivery to the carb could have some bearing on the running like **** and stalling issue too.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:23 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

87 LG4's still had the CC Quadrajet, Camaro 69.

There's really no reason to rip out the ECM if everything is there, just fix the problem. The CC Quadrajet will run very well for a daily driver when it's working properly.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ Oh true. Although he didn't say which model, probably would be safe to assume it isn't/wasn't a TPI Z28. My wandering mind!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 PM

the timing is right. I had a shop install the engine and replaced all old parts with new. what im saying is if my engine looked like the sig in jr's post id be fine. I want to show a pict of my engine so you can see the difference . plugs everywhere, its no wonder it dont run right

Old 08-09-2010, 07:24 AM
3rd Gear Member

You didn't answer anyones question. Do you have a stand alone distributor and are you 100% sure all things were put back correctly. After my swap I only had the carb/distributor wires left unhooked, everything else went right back to where it should be. De-computerizing will not get you extra performance, it may hamper the ability to re-sell or re-register if emissions are required.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

More to the point, which sensors are needed, and which can you toss?

I am right now today installing a 350 into my '83, and though it passed emissions with the Edelbrock carb that's going back on, which sensors do I need to get it to run right?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:34 AM

well im not sure about a stand alone distributor I just know i have what ever came stock with the 87 sports coupe and im not aiming for extra performance im just trying to get performance ..a car that runs. It ran for a while so its not the engine assembly. Its got to do with the carburetor , i think. I dont want a quadrajet and 50 plugs so thats why i want the comp out. I was just wondering if there was anybody here thats done this or heard of this cause i havent.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:58 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gasninfashion
well im not sure about a stand alone distributor I just know i have what ever came stock with the 87 sports coupe and im not aiming for extra performance im just trying to get performance ..a car that runs. It ran for a while so its not the engine assembly. Its got to do with the carburetor , i think. I dont want a quadrajet and 50 plugs so thats why i want the comp out. I was just wondering if there was anybody here thats done this or heard of this cause i havent.
Before you start hacking, please check about your distributor. The statment that its whatever came stock in an 87 coupe leads me to believe that it is indeed a computer controlled dizzy. If the knock sensor along with all connections aren't connnected it will run very poorly. Start there...

Quick Reply: taking out the computer