switchblade keys

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: switchblade keys

you did mention it was your company.

this is something that could be cool. if you are looking to simply demo these things for awhile (ie, sending out some freebies, or at least charging only shipping costs) then we will consider this post an "opportunity" and not "spam". but if you attempt to sell the keys on these boards at profit your account will be banned and any threads you started or posted in removed.

not trying to be a ****. just the way things work around here, and on most forums. this is a business too afterall.

that being said I think the idea is kinda cool. if you post up some info on how we may be able to get ahold of them im sure a few of us would be willing to try it out.

ur keys have chips in them as well i assume?

Old 08-20-2008, 01:06 PM

Yes,. The company is mine. I am donnykennedy.

The Switchkey is being prototyped with a small production run. As you can see by the website, they are currently NOT FOR SALE. I am however looking for people from different walks of life to test and try the Switchkey, to have a look, and gauge their response - both positive and negative. (spam accusations aside) I encourage negative more-so then positive, I can't make it better if I don't know what's wrong with it.

By joining this forum I can talk directly with people-one on one- and see what they are looking for.

I appreciate your honesty

I am not currently aware of chips being built in to GM keys between 82 and 92, (at least those vehicles to whom owners would be interested in a Switchkey). This allows me to buy and machine standard keys to fit the fob without dealer involvement.
If your car does have a chip, what year is it? Make and model? I will research it.

I don't want to follow the same path as Keyport did with their "slide" model. They had people send in their chipped OEM keys and cut them to fit into their device....I don't want to screw anybody's keys up.

-for anyone interested the website again is: http://www.donnykennedy.com/_/switchkey.html

-If you want you can join the facebook page and we can keep discussions off of this site, if it's going to offend anybody else.

Regards
~donnykennedy~

Old 08-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Not trying to sound like a **** either, but you need to do a little more homework to know about the market you're trying to cater to.
Starting in 1986, Camaros have a Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS) which uses a resistor pellet in the ignition key.
I think your idea is kinda cool, but you're going to either need to know which resistance key each buyer has so you can include it, or make it to where an end user can cut their own key down and fasten it to your switchblade thingy.
And as long as you're open to constructive criticism, on your website, the picture of the switchblade is very blurry. That's important since that's what you're trying to promote. And on the home page, I don't really care to see a picture of someone's face. It might be of interest to someone who knows you, but as a stranger, it doesn't mean anything to me.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Ninja Administrator

we're not offended. just making you aware of where the line is

Old 08-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Overdrive Member

I thought the line was no solicitors. Other forums I have been on you would be off by now. Sent to peddle your goods else where.
And lets get a show of hands.
Who leaves their keys in the car at a car show?

Old 08-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Overdrive Member

Oh and you want feedback on your product. It looks like the mini switchblades I have had in the past and they were POS. I suspect your product is no better.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:34 PM
March 2008 ROTM

i think its a neat idea. but the switch blade " knife"/ key idea probably wont sell well to us. The third gen camaros already have a bad rep as trailor trash and things of the sort. and that product dosent help us out.. lol

neat idea though. perhaps make it with something else.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You forgot that 3rd gen owners carry the real thing (switchblade) for trimming their mullet, and don't need keys to start the car anyway.
And good luck getting that through airport security without getting tackled!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:35 PM

Interesting, thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I have since changed the site around as per your recommendations. Included clearer and multiple pictures of the fob, removed my picture from off the homepage and placed it on the back, and gave a better description on the home page.
I have since registered switchkey.ca, and once the sale is final I will switch the domain to that.

The reasoning for the blurry pictures is because those were the very first prototypes I have made, and like that "mad" (I'm guessing not just a clever name) fellow had stated, they were in fact pieces of crap assembled from parts of an actual mini switchblade. I kept them blurry as to not see the poor craftsmanship the Italians produced. Needless to say all the Italian models lasted about 3 months and are now all but garbage.

I intend on making a product that is going to last.

Below the new shots on the site is the slug of aluminum - the actual new manufactured and precision cut item, that is now having the edge work done on it which will give it it's final shape. The fit will be perfect and precise, when you pick it up, you will know that what you have is in-fact a quality product. If my name is on it, it is going to be.

I was not aware of the 86 and up models having that chip, my locksmith informed me that the keys were the same up-to around 92...I will be talking with the dealer first thing tomorrow to address this issue. My Camaro is an 84 with 85 updates, no chip.

If you have a chance, have a look at the new redesigned site:
http://www.donnykennedy.com/_/home_.html

And again, I thank you for your feedback

If you have anything else, feel free to post.

~donnykennedy

Old 08-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Ninja Administrator

as long as he isnt asking for money he isnt soliciting.

Quick Reply: switchblade keys