Still have issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:56 PM
BackseatBob
Default Still have issues

OK, I still can't figure out what's up with the '82... (305 motor, 200c tranny) It acts almost like there's a rev limiter on it (which there's not) at first, but if I leave the throttle open then it just bogs and slowly dies. Tried un-hooking the lockup to see if it was just being sporadic, nothing; checked the compression of the motor, all good. The valve springs are good, no broken ones, everything is tight on the motor. The exhaust manifold heater valve thing (not sure of the exact term, the valve that get the exhaust manifold to heat up faster) wasn't hooked up to a vacuum source, hooked it back up and it does a little better but still have the problem. I'm pretty much out of ideas here, what the heck is wrong with my car??? Please help! I chose this car over my '75 when I had to sell one, I'd like it to work properly. Oh, it makes it to about 3250 rpm at part throttle and 4000rpm WOT before it starts lugging...

Old 01-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Still have issues

Sounds somewhat as a clogged exhaust, or fuel starvation.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:25 PM
BackseatBob

Oh, I forgot to mention that it wont do it until I've driven it for about 3 minutes if it's already warmed up, 6 minutes if it's cold, I timed it. I'll check the fuel lines, think I should run a fuel injector cleaner through it?
The exhaust flows well (well, as well as it should for crappy stock exhaust), and there aren't any obstructions that I can find in it. I'm planning on popping dual exhaust on it soon though so if it is, it wont be for long.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Overdrive Member

try checking the fuel pressure on the shrader valve, or maybe you have a clogged cat

Old 01-01-2009, 07:39 PM
BackseatBob

Hmmmmm, I'm thinking I'll cut the cat out anyway....
K, we've got a fuel pressure guage, I'll check all of it. The fuel lines had a bunch of rust in them when I first got a hold of it, maybe it's jsut clogged lines? the fuel pump was replaced when they put the junk motor in it...

Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bobarian91

Oh, I forgot to mention that it wont do it until I've driven it for about 3 minutes if it's already warmed up, 6 minutes if it's cold, I timed it. I'll check the fuel lines, think I should run a fuel injector cleaner through it?
Choke or carb related. You ever drive a car with a manual choke......you let it warm up and forget to take the choke off.........sounds like your problem......You say its injected?

Old 01-02-2009, 03:08 PM
BackseatBob

It's carburteted, but the choke has been torn off since it never worked to begin with. I have the Holley that came with the car that needs to be rebuilt, it has a rebuilt Q-jet from my dad's '78 truck on it now. It DID improve once I put the Q-jet on it...
I'll also note that the motor was installed by Pep Boys... and I've had to go through and tighten everything from the oil filter up to the intake manifold so I'm not sure what else may be loose. It didn't have a breather on it either, that's real good for it... so if there might be something loose causing it then let me know any ideas.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

hows your distributors and coil and all that stuff, it could be letting go at the higher rpms

Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Check where your fuel lines are running... It sounds like vapor lock to me.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:14 PM
2nd Gear member

i had a problem like that. i would hit 4000 revs and it would belike a really crappy rev limiter. i had too much advance on my timing. check to see if your timing is to advanced.

Quick Reply: Still have issues