Starting problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 03:32 AM
Default Starting problems.

After cruising in my car, and turning it off, the car won't start. I crank, but the car makes 0 noises. I replaced the starter and put a heat shield on it. Still have the problem, if not worse now. What wires, sensors, and other things could I check that would be attributed to this hot start problem?

Old 10-01-2006, 03:55 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Starting problems.

It's probably in the distributer. Magnetic Pickup or Module.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:12 AM

No. If the module is bad, the car simply won't fire, but it cranks. It will just crank and crank. I've had like 10 modules go out. That's a different story. I think....

Old 10-01-2006, 08:13 AM
3rd Gear Member

I've experienced, with different vehicles, that when the module gets hot, it won't start untill the module cools down. Some kind of breakdown in the internal electronics. It's cheap enough, so replace it.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:26 PM

So maybe it's the module causing the problem? As I turn the key, there is no cranking. It's complete silence.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:09 PM
3rd Gear Member

the starter not turning over has nothing to do with the ignition module or any distributor part. if you had not already replaced the starter i would say it's the solenoid. but since that isn't the case. you need to check all the wiring connections. something is loosing ground when it gets heated up. Sick

Old 10-01-2006, 10:12 PM

So check all the wires that deal with the starter? Any help on identifing that?

Old 10-02-2006, 08:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

the only time i've ever experienced what your describing it was a bad solenoid. since that isn't the case. i would start tightening all the wire connections like the battery ground on the engine and body. the hot lead that connects to the alternator and such. Sick

Old 10-03-2006, 06:48 AM
2nd Gear member

Sick makes a good point here, but while you're at it, take it a step further and check the wires for continuity, and clean any dirty connections with a wire brush and some baking soda and water.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chaeridley

No. If the module is bad, the car simply won't fire, but it cranks. It will just crank and crank. I've had like 10 modules go out. That's a different story. I think....
then if it cranks and cranks and cranks, check the coil pack on the side of the distributor, if thats loose your motor will crank and crank and crank. get a new one .

Quick Reply: Starting problems.