Squeek and When I Rev it won't push *Help*

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Default Squeek and When I Rev it won't push *Help*

When I turn on my Air condition the most annoying squeaking sound! Also sometimes when the Ac is off it does this as well, I have to rev the engine and press the break to get it to go away but always comes back..

The second this is when I slam on the gas to go fast when I get to around 30 MPH + It like kind of sits there and won't continue to go up? If I take it slow it will go up there fine any ideas?

Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Droid

Need a little more info:
Model year.
Engine type V6 or V8.
Transmission type, auto or manual.
Where is the squak coming from? Under the hood or inside the car?
When you step on the gas does the engine rev up and the car fails to speed up, or the revs just come up slowly?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:02 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

the squeek is 90% of the time going to be a belt that needs replaced. but need all that info z28pete asked, as well as the last time the car has had a tune up or maintnance performed

Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it has to be a v belt or maybe a compressor going bad. Do you still have cold air coming in the car? As the others said, you need to provide more info.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 AM

Model year - 1987
Engine type - V8/305 TPI
Transmission - Automatic
Where is the squeak coming from?

It's under the hood, I sprayed some WD40 on the belt but it gets louder for the most part.

When you step on the gas does the engine rev up and the car fails to speed up, or the revs just come up slowly?

If I have to speed up and press hard on the gas It gets to the 2nd/3rd gear and it kind of idles like it won't push over, If I don't press on it hard and just gradually let it go up slowly it's fine. Also later today I was driving had cruise on at 70 and then it locked up started decreasing and I tried getting it back up but just wouldn't go the rpms go up but not the mph. I have to pull off to the side then my steering wheel is locked and the Check Engine Light comes on. I have to start it back up and when I do it doesn't sound that good, Then I turn it off restart it and it's fine? I dunno this keeps happening off and on in the last month a few times now.

I just wanna get some of your guys incite before I give it to a mechanic who is going to rape me.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Droid

Are you saying that the steering wheel locks up while driving the car. If that is the case, you better not drive the car, unless you are looking to kill yourself. If the RPM go up but the car speed does not follow, then the transmission is slipping.
Putting WD40 on a belt is a good way to ruin it, but being that it squaked louder, it is probably loose or worn out. If the car uses a belt tensioner, it is probably worn out also. Any one of the belt driven acessories could have bad bearings and cause the belt to slip, take the belt off and rotate them by hand, they should have very little drag.

Last edited by z28pete; 07-29-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Mrjshua
Also later today I was driving had cruise on at 70 and then it locked up started decreasing and I tried getting it back up but just wouldn't go the rpms go up but not the mph. I have to pull off to the side then my steering wheel is locked and the Check Engine Light comes on. I have to start it back up and when I do it doesn't sound that good, Then I turn it off restart it and it's fine? I dunno this keeps happening off and on in the last month a few times now.
I'm gonna go waaaaaay out on a limb here, and say since the engine needed to be started up again, that the steering wheel "locked" and the check engine light went on because the engine stalled. Kinda hard to restart an already running engine!!
With the engine running, look to make sure all the engine accessories are spinning; alternator, A/C compressor, power steering pump, idler pulley. One of those may be locking up on you.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Tech Droid

Whew, that makes more sense. I was thinking the steering wheel lock was holding the steering wheel from turning.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

lol, with no power steering, it almost might as well be "key locked".

Old 07-29-2011, 06:29 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

replace all belts. replace cap, rotor, plugs, wires if not done already. have the code checked. if it stalls out when you let off the gas, the throttle body is probably filthy as well as the intake and will need cleaned. if the revs go up but the mph goes down, then that is a sure sign the trans is slipping, caused by neglect. i highly recomend you have it checked out by a mechanic and get an estimate done. its going to cost a lot to fix what you have going on unless you can have someone do it for you as a side project

Quick Reply: Squeek and When I Rev it won't push *Help*